APUG UK Autumn 2007 Gathering

Discussion in 'UK All Regions' started by FrankB, Apr 23, 2007.

1. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, we're back from the (seriously excellent!) Spring Gathering which means it must be time to plan the Autumn one!

For those who haven't attended one of these weekend bashes before, most of us usually assemble on the evening of the Friday for food, ale, a chat and a look at people's prints. The Saturday is generally spent wandering around the locale doing a bit of shooting at whatever takes our fancy. The Saturday evening is generally used as an excuse for more food, more ale, more chat and more prints, whilst the Sunday usually involves a bit more shooting until people make their farewells and head for home.

It's a formula which has served us well in the past, the atmosphere is always very relaxed and informal and a good time is generally had by all!

Previous venues have been the Lake District, Wiltshire, the Yorkshire Dales, Norfolk and Herefordshire. Nominations left over from the last selection process are Canterbury and Northumberland. At the last Gathering, John (pyrometol) had another suggestion which I'll let him put on this thread himself.

Geographically-speaking, we seem to have visited the North of England a couple of times and each side once, so there is a case for saying that the next Gathering should be in the south. However, all suggestions are welcome!

Whoever ends up organising this one, you've got a tough act to follow! :wink:

2. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Frank,

I'd be interested in Northumberland.

Tom.

3. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Northumberland whyay like man! They canna brew good beer doon south like!

4. BarryWilkinson

BarryWilkinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If its South, Dorset, North Devon, Isle of White and Canterbury have been mentioned.

Barry

5. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I happen to know that that's incorrect and have had the hangovers to prove it! :wink:

6. Sandeha Lynch

Sandeha Lynch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was very glad I came along, and although I didn't get to partake of the beer-stained prints on Friday, the Saturday more than made up for it with chat, venues, and warm weather. My thanks to all who made it possible ... hopefully there'll be opportunities to get to know everyone better another time.

And I greatly enjoyed having some fresh subject matter to shoot ... http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a119/Sandeha/lydney/070421_fp4_11_copy.jpg

(Oh yes, I'll remove the link if there are complaints ... :rolleyes:smile:

7. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well they do make oop for it with reet good scrumpy.........I sampled it extensively when I worked at Duckspool:smile::smile:

8. BarryWilkinson

BarryWilkinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice to meet you Sandeha. I can tell from your image where you metered the 18% Grey!

:wink:

Barry

9. Mark Burley

Mark Burley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was very glad I came along...

It was good to meet you and your cameras - you have clearly captured my inability to shoot straight along with my amply proportioned belly in a black tshirt. My 'Blad' and I have never been happier as they say.

As for the next location - I spent a grand week on the Rame peninsula last year in a terrific hotel with access to nearly deserted rocks, beaches et al.

I would be happy to tag along to North Devon or South. Although the Lyme Regis area was pretty good for me last year too. Jurassic somethings, hill forts and all those coombs went down pretty well.

Mark

10. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As from this september, I'm going to go back to University full time, so money is going to be tight ... meaning I probably wont be able to afford weekends away. So, If you'd like to come down to my little corner of the world, I'd be happy to act as tour guide and organiser. That said, it doesnt look like Canterbury is getting too many votes - if you all decide to come, my village is very picturesque, and only 7 miles out from Canterbury. There's a good pub with 14 B&B rooms, and plenty of other b&bs around and about.

11. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think there's a good case for the south of England getting our attention, in that it hasn't had it so far!

I'd be happy to travel down for either Canterbury or Devon / Cornwall, whichever gets the most favour.

12. Mark Burley

Mark Burley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would like to add that I would happily 'do Canterbury' though. I seem to recollect some pretty good locations round those parts.

Mark

13. A.C.

A.C. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep me in the loop here, only lack of avialability will keep me away - I don't mind where, but I have a real weakness for the SW coastal path...

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just a note to say that John (pyrometol) has added the Hartland Quay Hotel in north Devon to the list of suggested venues.

16. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format

That's Isle of Wight !!

Don't worry though, the Post Office got it wrong recently and had to recall all of the Isle of White stamps they had already distributed with the name wrong.

Good idea though!

Steve.

17. Mark Burley

Mark Burley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hartland Quay looks OK to me though...

Mark

18. Rob Archer

Rob Archer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I like the idea of Kent, although I'll go pretty much anywhere. Sorry I could,nt make the last one but I should be free for the Autumn. A date would be handy as I (and I suspect others) will have to apply for leave.

Rob

19. CarlRadford

CarlRadford Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have we got an approximate date? Canterbury sounds good but there is loads in South East Kent!

20. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm probably doing a couple of CTC rides in Devon round about the end of october, so round about then would be handy.

21. BarryWilkinson

BarryWilkinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your rite, erm right of course, sorry I must have been thinking of the cliffs!

:D

Barry

22. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's early days yet, but towards the middle/end of October has served us well in the past. If I had to stick a pin in the calendar it'd be around there, although anytime after the August bank holiday and before Christmas gets its name in the hat!

Barry - "Cliff White"? Never heard of him! :wink:

23. pyrometol

pyrometol Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    What is 'Black Dog talking about? I really must respond to his slur that there's no good real ale in the West. Does he not know that there are no less than 42 breweries in Devon alone? Has he ever sampled Otter Ale, Princetowns's Jail Ale, Big Sheep's Shepherds Ruin or Country Bumpkin? In Cornwall has he imbibed Sharps Doom Bar Bitter or Skinners Cornish Knocker Ale? Come West, young lad and be a man! John Stredwick

24. A.C.

A.C. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...Not to discount the famous Spingo Ale of the Blue Anchor Inn at Helston..
    Aynsley

25. pyrometol

pyrometol Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    To come back to you, Frank, if North Devon is chosen, regard must be given to the tides. Ideally, you need high tide @ about 8/9AM so that, as the tide drops, the beaches become more accessible - and safer, thr afternoon/evening high tide should occur when we have our fingers wrapped around a drop of real Devon ale! I'll go down to our local library and check tide times for the period mid to end of October. John S.

26. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    At this rate BD I think you'll have a job remembering the weekend at all! :D

John - I appreciate your point. However, it may be best to finalise the area and venue and find a few dates when the most people can attend before going into detailed research. (Just my opinion.)