APUG vBulletin Mobile Skin Now Available!

Discussion in 'APUG System Announcements' started by Sean, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi All,

I have implemented the new vBulletin mobile system for APUG. This is not a 3rd party app or hack, it's an official vBulletin product that ties directly into our forum. It requires nothing on your part other than a mobile device with a web browser. Simply point your phone or tablet to http://www.apug.org and it does the rest. It will auto-detect you device and load the mobile APUG site. So far it looks great and seems to work well, probably the best mobile system we've had yet. I would appreciate any feedback on it as I can only test it on Android.

Thanks,
    Sean

2. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, and it popped up on my iPhone as I was surfing APUG on safari and it scared the stuffing out of me until I found the "view in standard" button at the bottom. You might want to offer a heads up before you do something like that again.:whistling:

It looks almost like the taptalk app but not as refined but if you don't mind I am so used to the safari regular that anything else confuses me.

3. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, there isn't really a way to alert people but the link is there to view the full site if you prefer. The main issue with tapatalk is that it's not free like this new method, but people are still welcome to use it, it hasn't gone anywhere.

4. Barry S

Barry S Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sean-- Thank you! Overall it looks like a nice implementation on first glance. One display issue I don't like is that when doing a New Posts query--there's an entire screen of every excluded forum listed (I exclude the foreign language forums). That's basically a lot of useless information taking up over a full iPhone screen. Can that be suppressed? Also is there a Go to first new post button? If not, can that be made as a default? Thanks!

5. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I used it for a few seconds then went back to 'full site', I think in iOS 'full site' is just perfect for me; but I greatly appreciate the option to have a mobile option, and for free - even better. I greatly appreciate your attention to this site, these details are why I love hanging out here.
    Best,
    Andy

6. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you mean when viewing the main forums list? When I do a "New Posts" I don't see any excluded information. If I visit the main forums list I do see the other language forums listed (not sure if there is a way around that yet). I'll look into the go to first new post link.

Also, it looks like some avatars are broken so having a look at that

7. Barry S

Barry S Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm only getting it when I click on the New Posts icon. It gives me a big block of white drop shadow text on a blue background--directly under the Search Results heading.

Edit: This Safari on an iPhone 4.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
  8. ColdEye

ColdEye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi! I am surfing apug on my BB Torch and for me this is much better than the previous one. Thank you for it. :smile:

9. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm on android so it's hard to tell what you're seeing. Is there anyway you can send a screenshot to apug.org@gmail.com
    I think you press and hold the bottom button then press the top power button at the same time.

10. Barry S

Barry S Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ok, I'll try to forward some screen shots.

Edit: done

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
  11. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Barry, it should be fixed now.

12. Barry S

Barry S Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Working great--thanks Sean!

13. c.w.

c.w. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doesn't show up on windows phone 7.5. Still getting a normal desktop view. I do have it set to prefer mobile versions.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is some discussion on that here:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/383089-windows-7-phone-compatibility

It doesn't look like the vBulletin mobile skin currently supports win phone. I will likely re-implement the wap software we had before the server move (time permitting). Win7.5 should work on that.

16. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

17. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Sean, I used it a little more, it is warming to me but noticed a major item that might impact iOS users. When you get to the main page for the 1st time, but don't login and then click on 'new posts' it says there are none. I did delete my data abd cookies before going to Apug.org:

[​IMG]

Also one thing I can't seem to see is the "today's posts" button? That might help in my view, with the above issue too? I do see 'new posts' but I prefer the prior. Below is my dashboard for iPhone iOS 5:
    [​IMG]

Last, number of views, replies and pages of thread would be nice, this is the standard view:
    [​IMG]

Regardless, it is warming too me, still will stick with full site view since the above are important to my usability! Best, Andy

18. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Andy, too bad I don't have an i-device to test with, maybe I can find an emulator. On android the grid is not misaligned like that so I need to find a fix for that. I replaced that text with:

"Sorry, there are no new items to view. This may be because you have not logged in yet."

Just in case someone gets caught out. I'll look into a "Today's Posts". The other items will probably come as vBulletin improves the software, it's still early in the development cycle.

19. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ah, i think the grid alignment is a resolution thing. Are you on a iPhone3 by any chance?

20. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    iPhone 4S

21. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I believe if you have an Intel Mac you can get an ios emulator if you are an iOS developer? But some other Mac user wd know more...someone here is an iOS dev, think Henry (Pinholic) maybe he wd know if I'm right re emulator?

22. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    zsas how is it looking now. I think the grid layout is fixed and I added a "Today's Posts". Thanks for being my eyes :smile:

23. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The "today's posts" is here, thanks. Not sure what you mean re 'grid', seems the same?
    [​IMG]

24. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    oh the grid is on the home page. There were some icons that were truncated a bit, they should have been in solid rows.

25. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Ahhh....yes, perfect:
    [​IMG]

26. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    next item that is needing improvement, advanced reply gives you really nothing advanced save for the ability to add a "descriptive title"

What about the gallery?