APUG - Youtube how-to videos needed?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by eli griggs, Jan 25, 2009.

1. eli griggs

eli griggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Often times we see requests on how-to here at APUG and I want to ask if there are people here that are willing to put together basic and advanced how-to videos to post under a common APUG banner on Youtube for download?

What I'm thinking about is starting with darkroom, for example, bulk-film loading, basic b&w small tank development, compounding a solution, etc, on through advanced techniques in a 'one-point lesson' format.

Other topics such as building a 'table-top studio', the proper loading and unloading sheet film holders, to how to make an incidental light meter reading would also be important; things many of us take for granted can be real puzzlers to others that have no mentor to learn from. While a million books are out there with gazillion tips how to do these things, many people will never read them, looking to the web for instruction.

With all the talent on this site, I'm reasonably sure there are plenty of folks here that can pick out some subject that they feel can be of help to fellow photographers newbies and old timers as well.

Eli

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
  2. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are some already available. JBrunner, one of the moderators here, has set up some videos on YouTube about film developing.

Not saying 'don't pursue'!. It's always interesting to see and learn from how other people get from A to B. It's bound to be different from your own approach.

3. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did you ever check www.FotoTV.com ?

4. eli griggs

eli griggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the links. Unless I'm mistaken, these look to be commercial concerns and I'm thinking more of a free and 'open source' type approach.

While not a photographer, one craftsman I can point to is potter Simon Leach, who has about 360 quality videos on Youtube sharing his craft.

The free exchange of information by artists and craftsmen and women on the web benifits us all and a comprehensive collection of quality videos by APUG members sharing their best would only futher the interest of APUG and analog photographers in general.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2009
  5. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe.

"Quality" is (to me) the big variable. Making a quality instructional video (much less a comprehensive collection) is not a trivial pursuit. Who has the time and resources? There is a reason most such things are available for sale and not for free. It's not just greed or selfishness.

6. eli griggs

eli griggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    David, my apologies if I've not been clear on this; I'm not suggesting any one person attempt to put together an entire collection, rather, given the number of skilled members here, those with an inclination to do so, could contribute small videos as they see fit, on subjects that they are well acquainted and wish to share.

I singled out potter Simon Leach, not because it is a collection from a single person but because of the great depth of knowledge on a single subject being shared by one person in an open format freely.

There are many such persons working in todays arts and crafts, freely sharing their knowledge online in self-made videos and I think that with all the talented members here, enough interest can be generated to make a real contribution to the body of useful photo-related information out there, using APUG as a sort of common banner, so it stands out from the work of others. At the very least, such a collection will be easy to reference when trying to explain covered topics to new users.

Having said that, I will say that I don't view efforts to generate an income by others as selfishness or greed, those enterprises are simply other than what I have in mind when I broached the subject.

Eli

7. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I think I have about thirteen videos on Youtube of varying usefulness. You can navigate to them from my signature, and they are free. The Intro to the Darkroom DVD I sell simply because it was totally impractical to spread 82 minutes of material on one subject over 9 Youtube videos, and because of the time and effort that went in to even that meager production. I'm certainly not getting rich on it, but it helps people, and will help fund time for and production of other DVDs. As David said, doing something right takes time and money. Doing it on a shoestring takes even more time. I was taught early on "fast, cheap, or good, pick any two at the exclusion of the third. I'd rather do something worth while, that's worth it to someone to pay for. Most of the stuff (there are exceptions) on film subjects on Youtube is worthless, or worse yet, incorrect.

8. eli griggs

eli griggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, I will agree that there is a need for quality videos on Youtube covering photo-related subjects, that is after all, why I felt the need to raise the question, however, my experience has been, having interest in several mediums and subjects, that there are people out there with minimal equipment putting out excellent work in those fields in which they work and play.

I will make no claims to universally high production values, but studio lighting, trained crews or HD cameras really aren't necessary in most cases to convey an idea or technique effectively or in a competent manor.

And, of course, a lack of quality information online today is no hindrance to those whom feel compelled to try their arm tomorrow, undaunted by any perceived lack of equipment, we can only wait and see what they have to offer and if it is of any value to others.

Eli

9. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Although "a picture can be worth a thousand words," sometimes "a word can be worth a thousand frames of YouTube video." It would be nice to see more articles in the "ARTICLES" section of this forum.

10. eli griggs

eli griggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Perhaps some simple articles with parallel videos would be a good start?

What sort of articles do you want to see?

11. WGibsonPhotography

WGibsonPhotography Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I actually did a how-to video for my filmmaking class. It was a video about how to make a continuous lighting light stand out of stuff from a hardware store. The video was very last minute and not very good. Actually, the only thing not good was the lighting, ironically. I had intended to use the light stand to light the inside shots of the video I originally intended to do (an Orange Crush commercial), but all of my actors dropped out at the last minute, so I was stuck using the light from the celing fan.

If I can get around to it this semester, I might can get permission to use my school's tv studio (yes, we actually have a sequence of tv-production classes and a tv studio) and reshoot the video if this APUG how-to video thing ever gets off the ground.

12. eli griggs

eli griggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Who knows, maybe your how to make a light stand video can encourage others to try their hand as well. There is no organized effort at the moment, just some conversation about what might be done and the hope the idea catches on.

If videos do get made, perhaps we could add a video category to the "Articles" page for posting links to posted videos.

13. WGibsonPhotography

WGibsonPhotography Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wouldnt mind remaking the video. I'm actually very unhappy with it. not only did my actors drop out at the last minute, that was my first attempt at making a video of any kind. If I can gather enough volunteers to reshoot it, I'd be happy to. It might be a few months or even the summer before I can get to it, though

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would be nice if the articles section could contain PDF documents. That would give the creator freedom to add images and/or diagrams as needed. Links to videos hosted on Youtube could be included as needed.

16. eli griggs

eli griggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I like working with PDFs and usually save web info by choosing "Print" - "Save as PDF"; it's a lot easer for me to keep track of a PDF than most other file types. I also like that the excellent and free Openoffice.org software will allow you to create PDFs; does Adobe still charge for their PDF creation software?

Just who do we ask on APUG to make the changes to the Articles page to accommodate these suggested changes?

On the video front, I might be able to do a short bit on opening and modifying a Luna Pro SBC with a diode to use SR-44 batteries. I have to do this to my meter and it is a popular subject over on RangeFinderForum, where there are good stills and instructions on doing this. I just wish I had a second meter to do a dry run with; improv is not my strong suit... come to think about it, neither is soldering ;-)

17. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of all the good things the internet has brought us, the rising expectation to get everything for free is not one of them.

18. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just a hunch, maybe the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page? Seems logical to me...

Here's my take on this thread so far. It seems that there are some people that want everything handed to them without having to pay for anything. There are quite a few photographers that make a good portion of their income from teaching workshops. Yes workshops can be expensive, but most times, they're worth it. I don't see how someone who makes their living from teaching workshops, selling their books, etc... can be expected to create videos and disseminate them for free.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2009
  19. viridari

viridari Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes! His videos pushed me over the edge to get me to start processing my own film and now my wife laments how I take over the dining room, the kitchen, the spare bathroom!

I think these videos are invaluable and, for me anyway, have been most instructional on how to get into analog photography (coming from a Weyland-Yutani Whizbanger ABC123 with the high pass demodulator). I would certainly like to see more.

Some more things I'd like to see:
    * More complete introduction to view cameras, including press cameras.
    * More in-depth introduction to movements on a view camera.
    * Enlarging process.
    * Introductions to lesser-known camera types. How many of the Xbox age know what a rangefinder is? A folder? Many who see me on walkabouts with my TLR think that it's some kind of an analog movie camera.

And remember to tag your videos as "APUG" to make them easier for us novices to find!

20. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'd like to see a video on reversal processing of black and white film.

21. viridari

viridari Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Workshops make sense for those of us who derive income from our photography.

Quite a lot of us do this because we love it, and while workshops might be nice, how many hobbyists have the discretionary spending and vacation time to burn on these things regularly?

For us hobbyists, the Youtube videos are great. They are by no means comprehensive. But sometimes they are "just enough" to set someone down the right path.

22. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, videos can be very valuable in the learning process. The tone of this thread is that it should all be available for free. That's the part I don't understand or agree with.

23. viridari

viridari Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think anyone before you has suggested that everything should be available for free.

24. eli griggs

eli griggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ralph, et al, I don't believe there is anything wrong with the rising expectations of web users for free information in all the many fields of human endeavor. Many users pay for access and sponsors of sites like APUG and Youtube know full well that providing free content promotes their interest better than tradition published media, mailings, tv or radio ever did. This is very much the norm now-a-days, the public benefits right along with private concerns and the world merrily spins on in its well greased grove.

I also don't believe I've said all videos should be free or have condemned anyone for making money from their work, rather I have proposed an ongoing project in the hope other members would see some value of purpose in sharing their experiences in the furtherance of photography in general, by-way-of the internet, APUG and Youtube.

This is nothing new, great numbers of devotees of the many art and craft and trade mediums do this everyday and the phenomenon of this free interaction is growing; it seems not everyone sees the need to directly profit financially or keep details of their craft restricted to paying customers and when I read negative comments about the promotion of the free-flow of information and those persons whom embrace the practice I can't help but ask myself why?

Just because some photographers derive income through instruction, that is no good reason for those of us whom want to make, share or have access to free information to stand down. Guilds and their monopolies on knowledge are long gone and no one profession is entitled to restrict the flow of nonproprietary information to protect the income of professionals. I will also dare point out that not every purchased video will be useful, correct or informative. Those videos, free or commercial that prove their merit will find new audiences by word of mouth, online or otherwise and hopefully, others will see inadequate productions and be motivated to improve on the works of others.

Of course, if you find the idea of proactively sharing knowledge about and promoting your craft freely distasteful, don't do it; this is all about the spirit of volunteerism and you are most certainly welcomed to move on to something that interest you elsewhere.

Eli

25. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Not to be curmudgeonly, but what's wrong with reading and studying? Many millions learned to do photography without YouBlub or whatever it is. Ever tried producing an instructional video? Takes a significant amount of time and equipment which adds to up to expense invested. Unless that is, you want cell phone video.

26. MarkL

MarkL Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Eli, I can sympathize with the spirit of your idea, and am also sensitive to those who earn a living writing about or teaching their hard earned techniques. I can tell you I've bought my share of books and am trying to learn those techniques the hard way myself and it's a long road (but a satisfying one). However, it's occurred to me that we analog shooters might be helping to keep our craft going strong by sharing basic information as you say. Doing this helps encourage other hobbyists to give our seemingly daunting medieval analog techniques a try, and helps them solve frustrating problems like scratched sheet film during development. It's in our interest to help along other analog shooters so that they buy more film, paper and chemistry!

Mark