APUGers in Arizona

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by rusty_tripod, Dec 7, 2008.

1. rusty_tripod

rusty_tripod Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I will start here since I am not sure where to begin. There are a couple of us in Mesa, Arizona. It seems there ought to be a few more of us in this area or in other parts of the state of Arizona. If so, there is interest in creating our own regional group to promote enrichment and socializing. I have a lot to learn.

I know there are some large format enthusiasts here who could join those who have not moved into that format. I have medium format and 35 mm cameras.

Any interest? Thanks.

2. James J. Peters

James J. Peters Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good to hear that there are APUG's in the Mesa area. There are a few that show up in the Forums from the Scottsdale and Gilbert areas (Donald Miller and Scott Peters come to mind). I shoot med. format and 4x5, mostly B&W, and process in my own darkroom. I'm kinda far west in the Valley - out in Surprise so I feel a bit distant from other Arizona photographers (I don't know anyone working in analog medium out in my part of the greater Phoenix area). Rod Klukas, at Photomark and Scottsdale C.C., is a real source for ideas regarding photographers and photography - anyway, a regional group sounds good for us APUG's. Jim

3. mgonzale

mgonzale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm in North Phoenix and have also been interested in finding out who else is local. I tend to do landscapes & other aesthetic subjects but I am restless and have been wanting to try out some ideas with portraits lately. I shoot 35mm, 6x7, and just recently got a 4x5 from Rod. The ol' darkroom had been dormant for the past year but I cleaned my enlarger 2 weeks ago and am thinking of where I want to put it in my house instead of cluttering the bathroom. I look forward to meeting some other folks from APUG.

4. rusty_tripod

rusty_tripod Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the updates guys. There are two of us over here.(myself and white.elephant)

James, looks like I will be over your way next month as I got selected for jury duty in Surprise. At least it is a way to see new sights. Maybe we can connect while I am there.

5. white.elephant

white.elephant Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Here's Rusty! Present and accounted for!

I'm up for any get together.

6. rusty_tripod

rusty_tripod Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am up for a gathering. It would be helpful to find something midway.
    One of us is in East Mesa. I am in central Mesa.
    James is in Surprise. One is in North Phoenix.

Now if we can get the Scottsdale guys to step forward, surely someone will know of a decent location where we could knock off a few shots, then congregate.

7. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just thought I should put in a vote for the good "little" city in Arizona, to offset all you northerners.

8. rcoda

rcoda Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm in extreme North Scottsdale. I take Rod's class and am a member of Imageworks with Scott Peters.

I have a show up at Photomark until the end of the year... stop by and let me know what you think.

9. rcoda

rcoda Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Chris... I'm from NJ.. I took Klaus Schnitzer's Ellis Island summer workshop back in 1984... He didn't like my work.. and I didn't like his :^)

10. rusty_tripod

rusty_tripod Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nice shots Richard. How long is the show up? I reckon the rapid rail does not go near Photomark.

11. rcoda

rcoda Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi Rusty:

Thanks. The show is up through the end of the year. I don't think light rail goes too close to Photomark, maybe 20 blocks.

Rich

12. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Rich (and all)

I will be down in a couple of days. I would like you to post your shows address for me so I can find it on Google Maps. I would also be appreciative of any local places near Phoenix to photograph. I am dragging my 8x10 down for a quick Thursday-Saturday-Anniversary thing with my lovely wife.

Any tips would be great.

I have photographed near Tucson quite a bit, but nothing near the Phoenix area. I am feeling the need for some images of Saguaro.

Thanks!

BTW, you all know Fred's store in Fountain Hills, the View Camera Store, don't you?

13. rusty_tripod

rusty_tripod Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Because I moved to Phoenix before all of the changes and upgrades, I am fascinated by much of central Phoenix and some of the remaining old neighborhoods. If you have a car, you might be interested in the Chihuy exhibit at the Desert Botanical Gardens. Also the new light rail is up and running, creating novelty and interest for the locals. A lot will depend upon your preference for subject matter.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. rcoda

rcoda Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi Robert:

My show is at Photomark, 2202 E. McDowell Road, Phoenix, Arizona
    (602) 244-1133 - (800) 777-6627 http://www.photomark.com

It will be up at least until NEXT week (first week of January).

As far as photographing in Phoenix... I'm partial to older structures that have seen better days. If you want Saguaros, north is better, IMO. More "trees" less houses. BTW, there's a Linda Connor exhibit at the Phoenix Art Museum. Happy Anniversary.

16. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Excellent Rich,

I will try to stop by as we pass. Good central location.

What do you have showing?

17. rusty_tripod

rusty_tripod Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Robert, I go back to work on Monday. (Gloom. Despair and agony on me!) Let us know more about your schedule. Some of us might have time to meet for "coffee".

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2008
  18. rcoda

rcoda Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have just black & whites showing. Some old (from the 1980s and early 1990s) and some new work. All 4x5 or 8x10 except for one 35mm (WTC).

I just presented some color work for the first time. I have recently learned the color zone system and feel confident enough (for a color blind person) to show it. If timing works out, maybe I can show you when you're here.

Rich

19. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Awesome, I'll let you know how the color worked out. :wink:

Thanks for your help. I will let you know what the schedule permits. It would be cool to get together if we have time.

20. Jcol4

Jcol4 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You have another one in Glendale. I shoot 35.

21. MartinL

MartinL Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am a part time resident, an true Arizonan at heart I guess since I now have my subscription to Arizona Highways and 30 years of back issues. I am 2 hours north but I am in Phoenix quite a bit when I am out west. Hopefully we will be moving there full time very soon. I am still fairly new to large format, have been shooting it for about a year now and would relish the opportunity to learn from others. I shoot mainly 4x5 and 120. I love to photograph old sections of Route 66 in AZ, NM & TX and of course Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. This past summer I went to Jerome and there were loads of photo ops, I plan on going back as soon as I am out west again.

22. renzocataldo

renzocataldo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi, my name is Renzo Cataldo, out of Scottsdale. I shoot mostly 6 x 7 with a Mamiya 7 and print in my home darkroom. Have recently gotten into lith printing. Will soon start posting once my scanner is back running. Look forward to bloggin with you and possibly meeting some of you.
    Renzo

23. white.elephant

white.elephant Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I just got back into town. I REALLY need to subscribe to this thread (heh). Have we decided when or where we're meeting up? I'm up for anything.

24. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Just wanted to thank you guys for your help. I got in to see Linda Connor's work and the Phoenix Art Museum. It was fabulous as her work is. I was not too happy about her book as it looks no where near as good as the actual work. What a shame.

I was near Fountain Hills and went to see Taliesin and north of Fountain Hills to the park up there and had a couple of good days shooting.

Richard, I got in to see your work. Good stuff for sure. My wife really liked the cloud image and I liked several. Best of luck with your large format work.

I was happy to see that the local shop had such a nice supply of LF gear, I bought a few things I had needed for some time and the prices were certainly right on as well.

Thanks again,

25. white.elephant

white.elephant Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've lusted after a Mamiya 7 for a while. I assume you like it?

26. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have one and as the kids say, "It's the bomb!"

I used it in Europe and my China work as well. BTW, my china work is all lith. (www.roberthall.com/china)