APX-25 in Rodinal?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by PKM-25, Jan 18, 2008.

1. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did both a search and looked on the gianormous development chart and did not find any info on APX-25 soup times.

I prefer to use Rodinal as that is what I have so what is the scoop on this?
    I am shooting it in 120.

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to use a lot of AP25, and later APX25 10mins @ 20C in Rodinal 1:50

Ian

3. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I used to shoot apx25 many years ago and processed it in Rodinal 1:100. It gave the most amazing charcoaly beautiful mid tones ever.

4. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought the Agfa recommended time was on the Rodinal bottle. Anyway, the ginormous dev chart seems to have it buried under 'obsolete' films:
    APX 25 dev info here
    Click on 'Unlisted Data' and scroll down to where they show info on APX 25.

- Thomas

5. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can try APX 25 with Rodinal for 7 minutes at 1+25 and 10 minutes at 1+50 and see if you like to results.

6. Edwardv

Edwardv Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Additional information from the Agfa Handbook.

Rotary Processing: Temperature @ 68 degrees:

1:25

.55 .65 .75
    na 4 mins 8 mins

1:50

.55 .65 .75
    4mins 9 mins 15 min

7. Edwardv

Edwardv Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Lets try this again.

1:25

.55 .65 .75
    na 4 min 8 min

1:50

.55 .65 .75
    4 min 9 min 15 min

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rodinal is a very versatile developer, but unlike most dilution has far more effect on negative contrast.

I used to use 1:25 for N+2 development, 3:100 for N development and 1:50 for N-2 development. Put more simply N is normal development, N-2 reduced development when the subject matter is very high contrast, N+2 when the subject is very low contrast so yo need to increase negative contrast.

Ian

9. jsouther

jsouther Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just developed some APX 25 in Rodinal Special, 1:15 for 3:30 minutes @ 70 degrees. OMG I love this film!

10. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Before some people get confused Rodinal Special is quite different developer to Rodinal and results aren't cmparable.

Ian

11. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  12. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, I did my first rolls ever in Rodinal tonight.

I did a test of two rolls of FP4 120 in my hassy. The came out OK, but some pin holes did occur ( water filter? Use stop bath instead of water stop? )

I went with 1/50, 15 minutes at 68F. I have not really found any agitation notes on this stuff so I winged it a bit. While using a Patterson 4 tank, I did about one 1/2 turn of the spindle a second for the first 30 seconds. I then did one 1/2 turn per second for 10 seconds on the first roll and 1 per second for 5 seconds on the second roll every minute.

There really was not much of a difference. The film came out reasonably sharp but with a little more grain than I was expecting so I may relegate FP4 to people and street photography only and use Pan-F for landscapes and still life work.

The negs seemed to have only OK tonal range, but it was uber flat light in snow so the lack of contrast might be more to do with the light than my agitation?

The films I look to soup in Rodinal are FP4, Pan-F and smatterings of my APX-25 stock. In getting the best out of the APX-25, is there a better soup for it?

And as for the Rodinal in general, what is the best method of agitation for medium to low contrast scenes? Rodinal is well over 100 years old, I figure there has to be a good deal of info in regards to all aspects of using it.

13. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PKM, I can only answer your question on agitation. I have indeed shot some APX-25 in the past, and Rodinal is a fine developer for it.
    If you're shooting medium to low contrast scenes you want to increase the contrast to reach a normal level, right? If you intend on keeping your development time the same I would say agitate more often than during normal development. That will insure that the developer does not exhaust in the highlights as quickly and can continue to build contrast instead of slowing down. Or you can develop your film longer.
    - Thomas

14. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I just did the first roll, it came out nice. Love those Hewes reels!

PKM's High Altitude lab is officially in business!

By the way, I wanted to run this roll of APX25 as a test as I only have 100 rolls of it in 120, So I really want to use it sparingly like my TechPan stash ( 100 rolls as well ).

In tapping into the vast experience here, how does Efke 25 compare to APX25? Also, does anyone have any experience with the new Rollie ATP V1 "Techpan" replacement film? I know it is in 35mm for now but the 120 is supposed to be due out some time this year.

I have also souped some Pan-F in Rodinal and while it is a darn nice film, APX25 is just in another league as far as grain goes. It makes me want to cry that it is gone.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2008