APX discontinued

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by mono, Jul 21, 2005.

1. mono

mono Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agfa will not continue APX 120 films!!
    What is on the market and stored with the distributors will be sold, but no new production!

2. George Papantoniou

George Papantoniou Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wow!!!!!!! I am shocked !!!! Anyway, Ilford will start a new cycle of celebrations, I guess. But they deserve it. Hope at least they will hold on for ever.

3. Marc Leest

Marc Leest Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    35mm is still in production I believe.
    Production has ceased of the 120 APX already in May, when AgfaPhoto went in receivership.
    In August, a decision will be made about the future of AgfaPhoto and its products.

4. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not surprising... but it really sucks - I liked APX, especially in MF! Actually, really only in MF. Oh well, sign of the times...

5. Marc Leest

Marc Leest Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes APX100 (120) is still my favorite - still 100 rolls in the fridge. Anyway, I ordered a batch of Maco UP100+ (120) to see if i like it. (cheaper too anyway)

6. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Show me some proof! Right now this is nothing more than a rumor.

7. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just received an email from J&C yesterday that they would be receiving a very large order of APX (35mm and 120) in October.

Please give us some corroboration, or is this just another internet rumor? Personally, I have had enough of the "sky is falling" rumors if this is what this is. I just check Agfa Photo's website and there is no mention or press release concerning the discontinuation of 120 film.

8. Christian Kolinski

Christian Kolinski Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This rumor has been out for some days here. Some of it was caused by a german mail order company sending out an email-newsletter stating they are out of APX in 120 and can't get new from Agfa (which is no surprise as a: Agfa has troubles, as we all know and 2nd: the machines are in maintenance (scheduled downtime :smile:). So, nothing final yet. We have to wait and see what will happen when the "rescue plan" takes aktion (if one ever will).

9. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You don't mention where "here" is, and it's not in your profile, but I'll assume it's somewhere in Europe. When I was in Germany, nearly everyone was on a month of vacation this time of year, and a great many Germans were in Italy or Greece or somewhere in the south. It makes sense that this hiatus would be used to clean up the production line before gearing back up, perhaps in time for October deliveries to J&C and others.

Lee

10. VoidoidRamone

VoidoidRamone Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think this is the fifth or so time I've herd APX 120 is going away... but it's still here!
    -Grant

11. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I'm going to order some & keep my fingers crossed... it's great film in 120. :wink:

12. mono

mono Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That`s exact the information I have, that Christian mentioned further above!

13. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Anyone remember APX 120 25 ASA?

APX 25 120 developed in HC-110 1-50 was absolutely gorgeous! How long has the 25 ASA been gone? Now the rest of the family. Another sad day in Analogland!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I can only confirm that APX 100 and APX 400 rollfilm production is already stopped for months at the Agfa plant, in fact independent of the situation by Agfa at the moment. Latest production of 120 rollfilm have an expiration date of 2009.

Alternative rollfilm for the APX 100: FP4+, Fomapan 100.
    The statement that Ilford wants this market and stays in, the same with Foma and that Kodak is going out of the analog bussiness is quite clear.

After the rescue plan which should be ready for next week we will see what is left from the Agfa products so far.

Further Maco will introduce some new B&W films. After the R3, the new I.R. 820-400 some other Rollei films.

Best regards from the Netherlands,

Robert

16. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have here in front of me a roll of apx 100 in 120 with an expiration date of 07/2010. Does this mean that they have produced more than what has been available to you, perhaps just exported to the US? Either way, this whole thread sounds a bit alarmist, but I guess anything is possible in the current environment. I just wish that there were an announcement rather than rumors.

17. highpeak

highpeak Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    wondered when they are going to start making 4X5 sheet film :smile:

18. Christian Kolinski

Christian Kolinski Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agfa and sheet film? That's history. And won't come back.

19. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If the (world) market is shrinking with about 28% each year, it is clear that there is no place for 4 international operating photo companies (Kodak, Agfa, Fuji, Ilford) so we will see how Agfa Photo is going to adapt to this new situation.

But still enough B&W 120 rollfilms left. It's always a pity if your favorit film is going out of production for a certain reason but I do not think APX 100 and certainly not APX 400 is irreplaceable.

20. edz

edz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agfa APX-100 Rollfilm is not "discontinued". its sold out --- as well as many products such as Rodinal(!). There was a literal run on Agfa products and stock following their insolvency announcment in June. Since its all right now up in the air its not yet clear what, if anything, will be made. Right now, at least, products such as APX-100 in 120 are NOT backorderable from Agfa and all all loose reserves are in the sales channels or customer hoards. Products like APX-100 in KB-135 (35mm) and APX-400 in KB and 120 continue to be available not because they are in production but because there was less of a rush to purchase (as many have) 1 years supplies in 2 weeks. This has even effected the supplies of colour (RA-4) paper, a product that is central to digital photofinishing (and Agfa machines continue to be hot and very much in demand). If there is ANY B&W film from Agfa there will be rollfilm. If there is not 120 film then there will most probably be no 35mm materials either--- and this probably includes all the industrial films that have as yet a digital replacement (such as microfilm documentation). MCP bulk rolls are not available so does this mean that Agfa won't ever be making MCP? If they will make B&W photographic papers they will make MCP. If they continue to make film (such as Vista which overwhelmingly dominate the European marketplace) I think they will continue to make B&W materials. Will they? The statement is not "Bye Bye APX-100 120" but the question is "What is the future of Agfaphoto"? All that is clear is that it won't be the same as it was before..

In a few weeks we'll all know more.. Know if in October the shelves once again fill with APX-100 120 film or if....

21. George Papantoniou

George Papantoniou Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Here's a scenario that I just made up:

Agfa Photo is closed down, the financing plans having failed.
    A couple of years later, a Korean firm that makes engine valves for Mitsubishi and tennis balls for Dunlop decides to enter the B&W film and Paper business (its CEO is a film enthusiast and old German camera collector) and buys the Brand Name "Agfa" to use on its products. It then begins to produce film, paper, chemicals and all the rest... We're going to have Agfapan in all desirable formats (up to 11"x17"), Rodinal, Atomal, Neutol and even some of the real Agfa Papers, like Record-Rapid and Portriga.

Actually, the Koreans will surely manage to make the same quality products, but much cheaper than the Germans used to make them...

Too optimistic ??? Maybe. But it could happen !

22. mono

mono Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It`s a nice scenario!
    I think so,too, it could happen ;-)

23. edz

edz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  24. garryl

garryl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well in that case- TRICK OR TREAT! :D

25. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    APX100

Moderators-wake up guys-this thread should be changed to APX100 NOT DEAD!!
    Best, Peter

26. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format