Arad - Romania

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by perkeleellinen, Aug 9, 2013.

1. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's 40C (104F) in Arad at the moment, hope it's a bit cooler when we go in early September. We're travelling by train (London, Paris, Munich, Budapest, Arad) and taking only two backpacks. I'm almost convinced that I'll just take a small P&S and a few rolls of film. I've been before and didn't think it was that nice of a place to photograph, sure, it has some nice civic buildings but I don't want to photograph them.

This is really just to ask, has anyone else been to Arad? Did you find it photogenic? Should I consider a 'better' camera that will take up space and weigh more?

Thanks,
    Steve.

2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Photogenic is in the eye of the beholder - perhaps the thing to do is not photograph the buildings or scenery at all, but instead concentrate on the people. Then taking a "better" camera would make more sense. Besides, you'll have a lot of places before Arad that are highly "photogenic" to burn some film in, so why build the journey around the destination?

3. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    And, if weight is a consideration, and your P&S is of good enough technical quality to give results which you are happy with, why bother to take a whole lot of "better" gear.

It's sometimes refreshing to work within the constraints of a small, simple. camera with a standard lens, particularly if time is limited and photography is not the main purpose of a holiday. The photographer and his/her "artistic eye" are much more important to a successful picture than a whole lot of heavy gear.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013
  4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A simpler camera is a good idea.

But if you choose one that relies on batteries, I would suggest one that takes AA batteries.

5. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My P&S is a Nikon Lite Touch. My other option would be either a FM2 or a Fuji 645.

Our train journey, the bit I'm really looking forward to, has stop overs in those cities for only a few hours. We won't have time to explore. I remember Erich Hartmann used an XA for his 'Train Journey Through France' - travelling light and being inconspicuous.

This is really a family trip - we're taking our two year old to see his Romanian family for the first time - there will be lots of chatting & eating and group photos, maybe some nice candid shots. I thought the Nikon Lite Touch with the 28mm lens would be good for that and also the cramped interior of a train.

6. P C Headland

P C Headland Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Given the options you've listed, my first choice would be the big point and shoot - the Fuji. Not too big, but great quality when you want it.