Arax Fresncel Focusing Screen for Hasselblad

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by 36cm2, Nov 29, 2010.

1. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. trapd

trapd Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought one last year for my 500CM as I wanted something brighter (as I also have a 501CM). I found the Arax easy to install and much better than the original 500 screen although not quite as god as the 501. It's so cheap I can't complain and feel no desire to spend any more on the Blad option.

BTW, I also purchased the Arax unmetered prism and find it very good although there are some internal reflections.

Steve

3. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Steve. Exactly the info I was looking for. Awesome.

Leo

4. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No experience with that screen. But have made several purchases from ARAX both for my 'Blad and for my Bladski. Gevorg is a good guy. I have been completely satisfied in all respects.

5. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow... great info. think I'll grab one too for my 500CM.

6. polka

polka Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm always wondering if all those who install replacement screens for "better viewing" are keeping "best focusing capability" with all their lenses at all apertures ? How do they adjust for it ?

It's OK to get a better picture in the viewfinder, but what about the picture on the film ?

Paul

7. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've not tried the ARAX screens, but even the Hasselblad screens don't give you "best focusing capability" with all lenses. For example, I like using a split image screen. But it's hard to use with a f/4 150 because half of the split image prism blacks out easily with slow lenses.
    There are always compromises, and if you end up with something that works well most of the time, it's hard to expect much more.

8. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The ARAX screens are plastic screens with a Fresnel lens. There's nothing there that could make them brighter than the first generation Hasselblad screens.
    On the other hand, they don't cost much to try.

9. LikeAPolaroid

LikeAPolaroid Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Resuscitating this thread as I was too considering to get me an Arax screen to replace the standard screen of my 500 c/m.

I have a few doubts though when I look at the pictures of those plastic screens. The Hassy screen infact have a thin metal frame all around the screen that is meant to keep the screen at the right height for focusing. Then the screen+frame get installed into the camera where there is another metal frame with clips to hold the screen.

I can't see the metal frame around this Arax plastic screen so I am wondering:
    - am I supposed to remove the original Hassy screen from its metal frame and then put the Arax screen inside the metal frame? Isn't it risky to break the original screen or the metal frame?
    - if instead I just have to pop in the plastic screen, how does focusing work? The plastic screen should be thicker but focus should be readjusted then?

Apart from that, how does this screen compare, in terms of brightness, to the standard Hasselblad screen? How many f/stops do you think it is brighter?

Thanks for any advice.

10. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Given all those uncertainties, why bother?

11. LikeAPolaroid

LikeAPolaroid Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If people wouldn't bother about things, we would still be holding clubs and lighting fire with sticks. You would not certainly be bothering about photography...

12. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There's bothering with things, and bothering with things.
    If someone is about to bother trying whether lighting fire with sticks would go as well as using a lighter, i'd save him some bother by telling him not to bother.
    :wink:

If that someone is about to bother himself with trying to get an Arax screen to fit and be in the right spot, etc., in a camera that has screens that are at least as good, probably much better, then too i would say not to bother.

But by all means! Knock yourself out! Report back how it went.

13. LikeAPolaroid

LikeAPolaroid Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Right. That's enlightening philosophy.

14. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "Compelling" is a word i'd sooner use.

Also known as "makes perfect sense", and "no brainer".