Arca-style QR plate for Sinar Norma

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by watanabe`, Aug 26, 2009.

1. watanabe`

watanabe` Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've just bought a new gitzo gt5531s and a photoclam multiflex, but I can't find any QR plates that will make full contact with the bottom of my norma (which has a 3" diameter circular base).

Seems Kirk used to make a 4" square base, model pz-39, which would work, but the usual sources, RRS/etc, don't seem to have anything.

I do have access to a few CNC machines (architecture grad student) and I'm thinking of just making something, if I can't find anything suitable online, if anyone has any experience/tips with that.

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I bought one from another photographer who had one made by a machinist, and to cover the costs, he made a few of them and sold the extras on eBay, so I think the idea of making your own is the right idea. There just isn't anything out there that is going to work as well. Mine is a solid plate with a dovetail on the bottom and a pin on top to fit the base of the rail clamp, so the camera doesn't twist on the plate.

3. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just bought a pz-39 directly from Kirk, about two weeks ago. They told me its not listed and not a normally a stock item but they do have them instock.

You might want to contact them directly.

Gary

4. watanabe`

watanabe` Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks, I just went back to the kirk site looking to for a contact number and was surprised to see the pz-39 listed up on their site (camera brand: universal fit, camera model: 3 3/8" square).

Thanks for the advice!