Arcatech vs. RSS plate for Mamiya 7

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by coriana6jp, Aug 21, 2008.

1. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi All,

I have been using the Mamiya QR device & plate inturn mounted onto an regular arca swiss plate (for use on my B1) on my Mamiya 7II. It works though, it adds a bit of weight and its rather bulky. It seems like getting an RRS or Arcatech plate would be a good idea.

I have no chance to compare either plate, was just wondering what everybody's thoughts were on the two.

Thanks a million!

Gar

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2008
  2. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have RRS gear only. I do not know anything about Arcatech gear.

Really Right Stuff is incredibly well made. The owners of RRS are very demanding of themselves to produce the very best equipment to can envision.

3. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use RRS plates on my pair of Mamiya 7ii cameras. The RRS plates fit my cameras perfectly and are very well made.

(I shoot black and White film in one body and color in the other).

4. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the answers. Just ordered two RRS plates, a few minutes ago. Tom, you do exactly the same thing I do, when I am not shooting LF. I carry two bodies, one with color and the other with BW.

Thank again for all the help!

Gary

5. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would get the Kirk L bracket for the Mamiya 7 instead. I use one and it replaced my RRS QR plate. The L bracket adds some bulk and weight, but not only does it act as an Arca type QR, but it also allows for switching between horizontal and vertical positions quickly, accurately and without any incident.

Rich

6. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also have the Kirk L-bracket. Fantastic piece design. That said, my RRS plates are also very well made.