Arches Platine

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by devecchi, Sep 15, 2007.

1. devecchi

devecchi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ugly new for the lovers of the Arches Platine. He seems that Canson has suspended the production of this paper, in fact is not more present in the new catalogue and here in Italy the Canson distributor does not supply it more. Sergio

2. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It just looked on the US web site and it is still listed. Hopefully it is still being made....otherwise I'm going to need to order a bunch now

3. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Has production been suspended or discontinued ? Suspended could possibly mean that they haven't made a new run as to date. The Canson USA website is still promoting it and all the vendors that I know that carry it still stock pile it. Has Canson officially come out with a statement about the production being suspended? And if so can you post that statement?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2007
  4. devecchi

devecchi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I do not know no official information of Canson.But they are ten years that I use this paper for mine Platinum-Palladium printing and is before the time that I do not find it and (this preoccupies to me) is not more present in the illustrated catalogue Canson. Of sure I know that Canson has a trade-union dispute with own employee (the threat of lay-offs)that they have interrupted the production for some days. More I do not know to say, I hope that it is a momentary problem, but the fact that this product has been removed from the catalogue, means(for me) that it is not more in production. I hope not.
    Sergio.

5. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I've emailed Canson USA and asked them to address this. I'll post if and when I hear something from them. Robert

6. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've told my brother to pick up whatever they have left at Woolfitts in Toronto. It's the only place I know that carry the paper. I have about 15 sheets left.

Regards, Art.

7. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Art, Daniel Smith carries it.

8. Dug

Dug Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can anyone substantiate the statement that has been kicking around here that Rising Stonehenge is disappearing at the end of the year. I went into Daniel Smith to buy a bunch and they said they had no news of the U.S. mill closing. All sizes are available and are listed in the new 2007-2008 Daniel Smith Catalog. Anyone have info?

9. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dug -

The Rising Mill closed in June and all of the employees were terminated. Hence, the traditional supply of Stonehenge paper no longer exists. Here's the press release issued by the Neenah Paper Company, the outfit that bought the Rising Mill at the end of last year:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2007/03/05/daily18.html?from_rss=1

However, Legion Paper, a wholesale paper distributor, has announced they they have purchased the specification for Stonehenge paper and the rights to produce it, and will be offering a substitute that they will have made in another mill. However, one must keep in mind that Stonehenge was intended for use in drawing and watercolor applications, and its ability to function as a substrate for Pt/Pd printing was not the primary objective of its designers. Therefore, only time will tell whether the new version will also serve Alt/Photo applications. Also, we need to recall that while Legion has purchased the specification, they won't have access to the skills and experience of the guys who have actually been making it, so it is possible that the new product could differ from the material we are accustomed to. Here's the announcement:

http://www.legionpaper.com/pub/files/PressReleaseLegionAcquiresRisingBrandsLOGO.pdf

FWIW, Pearl Paint had some in their Canal Street store in New York in May, and I saw some in an art store in Bennington, VT a couple of weeks ago. So it's still possible to purchase it from dealers who had a significant stock. But for now the supply is definitely limited.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2007
  10. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I found a place on the east coast that sent me 100 sheets of Plantine wth no issues other than haveing to wait a couple weeks for it to get here.

http://www.artpaper.com/ if anyone is interested. (this was my first order from them, BTW)

11. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I checked the Stephen Kinsella website and they have Platine listed in their Aug 2007 price list. I did notice the price had increased slightly since I last bought in 2005.

12. ZELER

ZELER Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I live near the factory which fabricates Arches platine.
    M Pro is the chief for the line of production says to me that it is not a matter to stop this product !
    A good new.. i hope it will be right !
    Pierre

13. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Zeler. Am I understanding you correctly? That there are plans for a new Arches Platine to be produced? Or another run of the same paper? Or is it a newer and improved version of Arches Platine? Every time a company makes changes to their paper it always scares me.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2007
  14. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not to put words in Zeler's mouth, but I took this to mean that there was no reason for them to stop producing the paper. I certainly hope so.

15. ZELER

ZELER Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes, BillSchwab is correct. No new Arches platine, it will be the same.