Archival storage for 3x4" negatives

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Jeremy, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Right now I've just got a stack of 3x4" negatives and am looking on suggestions on how to store these suckers since there aren't any negfile sheets that come in 3x4" that I can find. I thought about using the 4x5" sheets, but am afraid that if I trip while carrying the notebook then they'll all fly out! This may still be the best mix of organization and cost/value.

Any thoughts? What do you other 3x4 shooter use?

2. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jeremy,

Take a look at the print file pages for the 3.5 by 5 in prints, they work real good for the 3x4 sized negatives.

www.printfile.com

I have about 30 pages of these with this size neg in them and they work out quite nice.

Dave

3. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmmmmm..maybe trim em up and use regular 120 pages....Nooooooooooooooo!!!! That's not a good idea...I like Dave's idea with the 3x4 size.

May be the same size the sporting card guys use, or something to hold a CDV would work too.

4. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Printfile makes a page for holding six Polaroid 669 negatives. Since these are very close to 3x4 size, it may work well.

-Greg

5. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can someone give me the exact dimensions of a Polaroid 669 negative? I will also email printfile and ask for the exact inner dimensions of this page. My other thought was to go with the 3.5x5" print holder pages and then use a staple to shorten the long dimension a little bit. But if I can get 6 to a page....

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good eye Jeremy, I looked at the same page but did not see the 3.25 x 4.25...just the 3.5x3.25...

8. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That might work out, would you be interested in some 16x20 poly bags? I picked some up a couple of years ago, would be willing to trade you for some of the 11x14's if you are interested. Got the 16x20's because I could just fold them over for 11x14, back when I was thinking I was going to print BIG! :D

10. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure! I'll even in toss in some 5x7 fold-lock poly holders which I won't be using to even out the sq. in. difference :smile:

11. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The polaroid holders DON'T work. Just about 1/8 inch too small in each direction. Ask me how I know. Anyone want a bag of 25 (I hope I only ordered 25) sheets of Polaroid holders?

So how I do it is with the Savage film sleeves. I then place these in the 4 up Archival 4x5 pages. Even if the do fall out, they won't be ruined. I can also write on the sleeves and keep track of them using a secret coding and a notebook. Lordy lordy help me if I lose that book. I think I know where it is. I think I remember the code too.

3x4 is a thing of the past. Nobody is gonna develop anything for our oddball format.

tim in san jose

12. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Jeremy, put 'em away slightly wet. They won't fall out then. :D:D:D