Are 4x5 film holders generic?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by stradibarrius, Feb 25, 2011.

1. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Are 4x5 film holders generic or will only certain holders work with certain cameras?
    There are tons of 4x5 film holders on the net for sale but I do not want to buy a type that will not work with my Calumet cc-400

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Modern ones are all generic with one exception some early British MPP cameras and holders used a slightly different register, but the weren't exported to the US.

Ian

3. GeorgeDexter

GeorgeDexter Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Some of the older Graflex Models like the R.B. Super D use a different kind of back that is not compatible with modern 4x5 film holders.

4. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

DON'T buy Tiltall holders!

5. pgomena

pgomena Member

Lisco and Fidelity, and Toyo holders generally fit modern cameras. Lisco and Fidelity are the most common. Older holders will have wire grips on the dark slides. (Riteway holders are also good but not manufactured after the late 1960s or early 1970s, I think.) From at least the mid-1970s forward, the wire grips were replaced with plastic grips. At some point in the mid-80s, the composite dark slide material was replaced with a thinner, more flexible plastic.

This will give you some idea of the relative age of the film holders on the market. There is no reason to buy old, wooden 4x5 holders. The market is full of the modern plastic models. Price seems to hover around $5-7 each.

Peter Gomena

6. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks, Fidelity and Lisco were the ones I had seen the most.

7. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As far as I know all Graflex style holders are made of wood, with the exception of the metal grafmatics. So you should be safe with any plastic body holder. Get some clean ones, there are a lot out there.

8. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Toyo ones are probably the best ones to go for if you can find them - they are made to a very high standard of precision and flatness.

When you buy Film Holders made sure they are flat and warp free.

Some Holders have seen a lot of "life" and not a great deal of TLC

Martin

9. Charlie Wheelihan

Charlie Wheelihan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had very good luck with Fidelity Elite holders. Often you will find them going for $10 each or more... crazy. I agree with a previous poster, if you watch you can find them (good ones) for $5-$7 per.

I recently picked up 12 (2 lots of 6), almost like new, still in their boxes for I think about $6 - $7 each including the shipping charge. I got lucky and checked it at the right time and found them as "Buy it now" so avoided a bidding war on evilBay.

10. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It always amazes me how much people try to sell Double Dark Slides (DDS) for, there's an advert for 5 MPP ones (so probable registration issues) for £75 elsewhere and yet the Toyo/Lisco/Fidelity ones can be found for about £5 each second hand particularly if you buy a few from reputable dealers.

Ian

11. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fidelity Elite, Lisco Regal II and even the older Riteway holders are all good choices. I have a few of each and have never had a problem with warping or light leaks. Even the really old Graflex wooden holders (with the slot down the long edge) have been good but are only for the Really old Graflex D and early Speed Graphics.

12. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One thing to bear in m ind is that, even though a great deal of more modern Graflex-style holders are more or less universal as to what backs accept them, some are made in varying lengths. I have some where the holder was in good shape and the slide was chewed up and vice versa across different brands. I would slide a slide into one holder and it would come up about a quarter inch short. Another would bottom out and still have a half inch to go to be where it should be to be closed.

Not mission critical, just a life experience shared to store way back in the back of the gray matter along with Sputnik and Perry Como.