Are any Aussies in the market for a darkroom sink?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by PeterB, Nov 14, 2005.

1. PeterB

PeterB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I rarely see sinks for sale on ebay in Australia, so I thought I'd highlight this recent find
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6mm-PVC-Industrial-Darkroom-Sink-with-splashback_W0QQitemZ7562640000QQcategoryZ106751QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Being professionally made from 6mm PVC, it's bound to be a good investment.
    I paid around A$1200 to have mine made a couple of years ago.

BTW I'm not affiliated with the seller at all, I just wanted to increase the chances of it finding a worthy owner (i.e. a DIY analog enthusiast).

regards
    Peter

2. Lyn Arnold

Lyn Arnold Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks PeterB. The only catch is that I'm Sydney-based, and the sink is pick-up only in Melbourne.
    regards,
    Lyn

3. PeterB

PeterB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Lynn, I don't know your situation, but for me time is money and I know that myself and others have spent a lot of time researching and/or making sinks themselves. If you have plenty of time to spare maybe you want to make your own - if this is the case then you are generally limited to epoxy covered wood. (materials will be a couple of hundred $$). If however you have lots of money, I could recommend where you get one made in Sydney. If you have neither much money nor time, why not place a last second bid for the one on ebay? Set your bid price to how much you can afford minus shipping costs for a courier to pick it up from the seller and dropping it off to Aus Post or a friend in Victoria. Failing that just drive down yourself to pick it up!

regards
    Peter

4. chiller

chiller Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh the lament of a photographer in Adelaide "right now" rebuilding his darkroom.

What a great sink.

still Melbourne is just down the road from Adelaide and isn't Sydney just up the way a touch :smile: from Melbourne?

Ah well time for plan "B"

5. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yes, ring a courier up and get a quote before bidding. It wouldn't be very heavy, just an awkward shape. It might go real cheap, although you never know, I'm amazed how much interest there is in some weird things these days!

My sink is actually very similar except my well area is at one end rather than in the middle.

6. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm even further away in Perth, hmm, I guess it's just around 3000km. :smile: What's the chance of one coming up on Ebay in Perth? Zilch. Looks like I'll have to make my own when the new mega-shed is built.

7. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Basically distance isn't the problem, finding some way getting it interstate is the major problem but isn't hard.

As someone who hase lived and travelled most of this continent, I have frequently called upon different peoples to help deliver some of my interestingly shaped stuff. Also with the majority of my travelling being on a motorcycle I have learnt to cherish any friend with a ute.

Now that said, Kew is about 40 minutes away across town, picking the thing up in our trailer for someone wouldn't be that hard, finding another person to get it to say, Western Australia, is another story!

Mick.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2005
  8. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Mick, we have a ute, even with a canopy :smile:

9. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nicole, start bidding!

Mick.

10. Graeme Hird

Graeme Hird Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Nicole, I have one I'm going to part with soon. If you make your trip to Kalgoorlie before Christmas, you can have a look at mine.

Chiller, I'm driving to Melbourne just after Christmas and can bring mine with me if you like (and if Nicole hasn't snaffled it by then) - it'll help offset the cost of the fuel for the Kalgoorlie-Melbourne trip.

(Approximate dimensions of my sink: 200x75x25 cm)

11. chiller

chiller Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

:smile:

How much??

12. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    for the 2nd Annual Australian APUG get-together?

13. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    if the 1st one was in Melbourne, the 2nd Australian APUG get-together will have to be in Perth. :smile:

Yeah Graeme, how much? Tim want's to see the matt-cutter although was a bit shocked when I said we'll be driving to Kalgoorlie, lol

We'd have to bring the ute!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. chiller

chiller Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Get the sink and the matt cutter -- saves an extra trip later. :smile:

16. Graeme Hird

Graeme Hird Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Nicole,

I just spoke to my friend with the matt cutter - he says he is still using it occasionally and does not want to part with it. Greedy if you ask me! I mean, why would you buy a $30,000 computerised matt cutter and then keep a grubby old manual one worth only a couple of thousand? :D

My old sink? I reckon $300 with 10% going to APUG might be fair, but we'll see what the going price is for that one on ePay. With everybody going digital, it might only be scrap value these days ... :sad:

Regarding the "2nd Annual Oz East Coast APUG Convention": yeah, that could be a good thing to aim for. I still like the idea of the "Inaugural Annual Oz West Coast APUG Convention" though! We may need to meet in the middle for the "Nul-APUG Convention" :D

Cheers,

17. Glenn Mathison

Glenn Mathison Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    2nd Aussie APUG meet?

Sounds like a great idea to me. I missed the first one in Melbourne but would love the chance to meet up if it happens in Melbourne ealy next year. While I'd love to go to Perth (I've never been there) it's a bit far to drive. (I can drive for free but flying costs me.)

Nicole, I felt sure your monster darkroom would be complete by now. What's the story, maybe you need to crack that whip a bit harder.... :smile:

Regards
    Glenn

18. Glenn Mathison

Glenn Mathison Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Posts 1

Seems like a Welcome to APUG is in order Lyn. So WELCOME !!!

You'll see there is a small but very friendly bunch of Australians here. Try and take the time to drop into the chat room some night, preferably with a drink in hand. Hope to see you there soon.

Regards
    Glenn

19. Glenn Mathison

Glenn Mathison Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Slightly OT

Any Sydney siders going in to the half yearly Camera Fair at Ultimo this weekend? I'll likely be there with a couple of film enthusiasts I work with. Maybe we could meet up after for lunch? PM me if interested.

Glenn

20. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It is a nice drive; a long one, but a nice drive anyway. I've made it several times, most recently last month (actually only as far as Wodonga this trip, then down to Bright).

21. David

David Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hi, I live about 15 minutes from Kew and could pick up the sink pretty easily if someone buys it. It doesn't take too much to make a nice sink either.

We should get together again. Nice idea. I'd be in.

22. PeterB

PeterB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sold to a first time eBayer, mmorris1974 for A$182.50. I hope they make good use out of it.

Peter

23. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a crack at it, but it went for more than I was prepared to pay. And I don't actually have space for it yet anyway.

24. PeterB

PeterB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  25. Magpie

Magpie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    SHHHHHH!

I was hoping no one else saw it :D

This one would make a perfect pot plant stand until I get around to building my dark room.

Brendan

26. PeterB

PeterB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Brendan, I was going to suggest that you 'Buy it now' but the seller has removed that option on the 27-Feb-06 08:47:17 AEDST.

regards
    Peter