Are Mamiya 6 and 7 lenses the same?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by gwatson, Jan 26, 2009.

1. gwatson

gwatson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all

I have a Mamiya 7 and have the option of buying a Mamiya 6 with a 50mm lens. Does anyone know if I can use the lens in a 7 model as well? For some reason I think I could, but am not sure.

Thanks.

Geoff

2. Alex M

Alex M Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You canĀ“t use Mamiya 7 lenses on the Mamiya 6 and vice versa.

3. gwatson

gwatson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks!

You just saved me a bundle.

Geoff

4. MikeSeb

MikeSeb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Geoff, you're looking at this the wrong way. You surely need to own both systems!

5. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That kind of thinking could get you in a deep and dark financial hole.

Sandy King

QUOTE=MikeSeb;742280]Geoff, you're looking at this the wrong way. You surely need to own both systems![/QUOTE]

6. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I've been told that the film advance mechanism on the Mamiya 6 frequently fails and Mamiya America no longer stocks parts for the transport/winder gizmo. I think S.K. Grimes developed their own repair kit but it's not inexpensive.

Now I don't know for a fact if the above statements are true but it's something told to me by a knowledgeable Mamiya connoisseur.

7. gwatson

gwatson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many thanks for your advice. The reason for my interest in this item was that the body is in fairly bad shape and is 'almost' thrown in; my prime interest was the lens. I have a 150mm, 80mm, and 65mm for the M7, but find that the 65mm is not quite wide enough. I thought that if the lenses were interchangeable it would provide me with the wide angle for the M7 (and a nice spare backup body). Since they are not, I won't buy.

Micheal: I know your comment was not meant is all seriousness, and it would be nice to have another quality camera lens setup, but as Sandy points out, it would be seriously expensive (M6/7 lenses the price they are). I have also come to the conclusion after 20 years that it is better to use 1 or 2 systems well, than to use a dozen badly. I have an M7 and a 4x5 and that is all I want since both are great boxes with even better lenses and cater to all my needs. (OK, I have a Pentax 67/80mm macro for 120 closeup, but I haven't even seen it in years.)

Don: I have also heard the same. Thanks for the comment.

Thanks again everyone. Much appreciated.

Geoff.

8. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I considered both systems (M6 and M7) but decided to go with the M7 because of the age of the M6 (with attendant issues), while the M7 is still in production.

On the other hand the M6 is smaller and more compact than the M7, which has a lot of appeal, and the lens are of similar quality.

It is a shame that Mamiya chose to go with a different lens mount on the M7 as interchangeability between the two cameras would have given a much greater range of flexibility.

Sandy King

9. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is there any truth to SK Grimes making their own winder mechanism to fit the M6?? If so, they need to make it more widely known and I bet many M6 owners would gladly fork out the dough rather than let this great system fall by the wayside.... More people asking for it could also bring the cost down as they could set their machines up to do a job lot rather than one at a time.

Anyone know for sure abou this?

10. Vanishing Point Ent.

Vanishing Point Ent. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    GET THE 43 MM LENS for the Mamiya 7, it's 35 mm Full Frame equivalent is 21.5 mm.

11. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My understanding is that the M7 went with the non-collapsable mount so that they could add the 43mm and that this precluded interchangeability between the two. I would kill to have a 6 w/ the 43mm.