Are slide carousels dishwasher safe?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by BetterSense, Sep 28, 2009.

1. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just got a kodak slide projector and 6 carousels. That's 840 slide's worth. The carousels are all dusty and trying to clean each slide chamber would take a long time.

Also, is it typical to permanently store slides in the carousels? It seems a bit bulky, but I already have the carousels.

2. Larry.Manuel

Larry.Manuel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, it's very common to store slides in the carousels.

Dishwasher: very tempting. I really don't know if it will damage them. Here's my speculation: likely OK except it would be wise to take them out before the drying cycle, which [usually] has an electrical heating element, turning the device into a bit of an oven. Try one first.

Or: you may be surprised at how clean they will come by soaking for several hours in warm water with detergent, then rinsing with strong stream of cold water [garden hose with nozzle]. Some kind of cleaner that leaves no scum is likely best - dishwashing liquid, Simple Green, etc.

3. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wondering if for the last step, you gave them a rinse in a water with a bit of ilfosol/photoflo?

4. PeteZ8

PeteZ8 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    At my last job the lab would clean entire circuit boards in a bucket of hot water with Simple Green, then hang up in front of a fan to dry overnight. These were very, very dusty and dirty from years of service in a machine shop environment. I would imagine it would work just as well and be completely safe as it would not even harm electronic components. Came out sparkling like new.

No scrubbing required just agitation.

5. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I would clean the carousel trays in a bucket of soapy water, and rinse with cool water. A dishwasher is just too hot for the plastic, and will probably distort it during the drying cycle.

As for the projector, just take the back off and blow it out with compressed air. Wipe any grit from the plastic gears and re-lube. The projectors are pretty simple, and should last almost forever. In the past, I have bought repair parts from KX Camera. I see on their site that they also do repairs to projectors.

6. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I put a lot of plastic through the dishwasher with no problems. If you are worried about the drying cycle then just turn it off - most have an 'energy saver' option, or put the trays in the top rack.

Use one of the older phosphate detergents. The new 'environmentally friendly' ones seem to cause a lot of rusting even on rust-free kitchen utensils. Don't leave the trays in the washer after the cycle is over to minimize rust problems.

7. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've cleaned many of the Leica straight magazines by soaking in warm water and detergent, brush with a paintbrush if necessary, then rinse in clean water, shake vigorously and dry with a cloth. Then leave for any residual moisture in the slots to dry off naturally.

I don't think I'd risk putting them in a dishwasher (I've seen someone distort a plastic dev tank and spool, thinking they'd give them a "good clean" with the dishes and saucepans :rolleyes: ).

8. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Take the metal parts off and I would put ONE in. If your dishwasher is older and has a coil at the bottom I can guarantee you that it will be ruined. If it is a newer hot air kind of model you may be okay. I would just soak them in warm water and flow water through the slots maybe with the spray nozzle on a kitchen sink. I would remove all the metal parts you can before putting them in water.

9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kitchen sink, warm water, a few soft brushes, Q-Tip swabs a little soap. Rinse thoroughly, shake off, ShamWow or cloth dry, then use the hair dryer to dry off quickly so that nothing can rust. Move the metal disk around while drying.

If you take off the metal parts from a Carousel Tray, you may be dealing with a destructive disassembly.

Steve

10. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure you can get them apart without harming them. The only metal in the 140's that I have is the base and the spring. If you run them through the washer, blow the area above the base with compressed air. You wouldn't want trapped water in there.