are there any color films offered in bulk rolls?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by destroya, Sep 5, 2012.

1. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i see lots of B&W but can't find any color rolls. there is a big savings rolling your own B&W and wanted to try saving on some color. Am I just missing them?

2. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some Kodak cine films use the C-41 process. They are usually available in 400 ft rolls. No REM coating. Check their website.

3. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think that Silverprint in London was selling bulk colour neg quite recently but how it got hold of it I have no idea. I have certainly not seen any other sales of bulk colour neg.

It isn't clear to me why bulk rolls of colour neg have either disappeared or maybe were never sold as bulk B&W film has been.

pentaxuser

5. Felinik

Felinik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kodak, if you want some immediate business, please give us Portra 400 in bulk!!!

6. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Portra 160 and Ektar, please.

7. madgardener

madgardener Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wouldn't mind seeing some Velvia and Provia in bulk rolls as well.

8. timvo

timvo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012
  9. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rollei's Digi-Base is an interesting option but the clear base poses challenges for printing with an enlarger.

The orange base common to normal C41 films is part of the color management system allowing more accurate color rendition.

10. donkee

donkee Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just for giggles I contacted Fuji to see if there is any way to get Provia in bulk. Hopefully I will get an answer soon.

11. afrank

afrank Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I managed to snatch few cans of Bulk 60mm Ektachromes EDUPES, very nice film. Never neglect Ebay, just dont drive the price up for the rest :wink:

12. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak still sells its E-6 Ektachrome movie film. It's available in 35mm and 16mm, and AFAIK, Super 8.

13. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a great reminder, Ixdude. 100D is an E-6 color reversal cine film with no REMJET backing. It's a modern T-grain film. It is contrasty and super-saturated, which may not be to everyone's liking. According to a Kodak FAQ I found, it was based on the E100 line of still films. It has Bell & Howell perfs, but I doubt this would be a problem for any 35mm still camera.

Kodak's product page on the 100D film shows it is available in 400 foot rolls in 35mm, 100 foot rolls and spools in 16mm, and Super 8 cartridges. Once the last of the E100 and Elite Chrome film is gone off of store shelves, this would be a good replacement provided the contrast and saturated color are to the photographer's liking.

14. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I suppose when it's the last way to get Kodak reversal film it's worth almost any price, but this stuff is very expensive. Not the usual price break for buying in bulk, or for buying movie film vs still film! Currently $475 for 400 ft. That's what has kept me from scooping up a few rolls for the fridge.

Also note that Kodak says it will turn your chemicals pink, and gives tips for how to wash the pink back off of your equipment. Might be worth a heads-up to your local lab if you send it there instead of processing it yourself. They might not appreciate this!

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploadedFiles/TI2496.pdf

Duncan

15. stefan4u

stefan4u Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sometimes it comes along ebay, recently I got a few rolls for a very good price.

This sentence “...these dyes are designed to rinse out ofthe film during processing, they will change the color of the
    first developer etc...“ ist the same as written in the E100VS techpub/pdf. If you do a home development without replenishment but discharging the solutions after usage there is hardly a difference.

My process is quite a long one with prolonged washing times due optical reversal /stop-clear and rinse step after CD and a 10 minute final wash after fix. Doing this I can’t see any coloration in my stabilizer at all…

Regards, Stefan