are you an equipment snob ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by jnanian, Nov 8, 2013.

1. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i don't have any preference for the cameras i use.
    i have too many of them so just grab what it handy
    or that will be easiest to work with with the medium i am working with
    so, a 35mm or half frame or 110 might work, or if i am using paper negatives
    something bigger, but im not too particular ... that larger one might be a junky pre war box camera
    or a 8x10 camera ..

i guess i am a little bit of an equipment snob, i don't really like too much auto
    cause i don't bother with any of that stuff, id like to over ride all of it ...

so .. are YOU an equipment snob ?
    why, why not ?

2. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, yes I am:smile:. I had T-shirts made up, one for when I'm using my Linhof says "My other camera is a Deardorff" and another, for when I'm using the Deardorff says "My other camera is a Linhof".

I wish I'd thought of this back when I owned two Leica M3s and a IIIG - I'd have had a shirt made that said "My other cameras are Leicas, too".

3. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Oh yes. If I take out the M2 I'm in working mode and no excuse is permitted and the M2 is part of me. If I take out one of my other 10 cameras, they are toys and I am playing.

4. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I *like* equipment, but I don't feel like a snob about it. I just think the mechanical-age gestalt of mid-20th-century cameras, and the extensive manual involvement in using (especially) prewar large format, are enjoyable. But if anything I may be kind of a reverse snob, in that I'm more likely to admire the photographer who can get a good result from a Rube Goldberg[1] setup of scrap wood and chewing gum than the one who spent US$2,284,572,275,073.36 on the newest shiniest fanciest everything.

It's a personality trait, I think; I'm the same way about cars, guitars, horses, garden tools, camping equipment...anything that functions as a tool, I admire good workmanship, I work best with tools I feel a personal "bond" with, but I'm kind of contemptuous when I see someone have the attitude "this tool isn't good enough for me". Man, if you could *really* ride, you'd be able to win that equitation class on a moose. Or whatever.

-NT

[1] That's American for "Heath Robinson", I believe.

5. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ntenny,

Here - (1)

(1) There's a toolbar immediately above the message box when you click 'go advanced' for reply. It has sub-and superscript options.:smile:

6. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, not a gear snob. I have some nice gear in several formats but don't flaunt it and don't care what others think about it (or me). All I want is to be using gear that will get me the images. I often choose which gear would be best given the time, place, and subject... but that's all about choosing the right tool rather than snobbery.

7. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh boy!

Look at my prized possessions...

Attached Files:

8. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wear through the chrome on my cameras just stroking them and calling them by name.
    See Monty Python's "Bruce"

9. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    She'll have lower back pain for sure.

10. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'll take care of that

11. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have 46 cameras at the last count. A few of those were professional equipment in their day, a few were very cheap when new. I buy them because they are interesting in some way. All of them get used at some point (not the Meisupii as it uses Bolta format film) - obviously not very often.

So, no - not an equipment snob; more an equipment fan.

12. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm a reverse snob. I like to use the crappiest cameras and make better photographs than the guys who are stroking their princess Leica's. Do I have a Leica? Yes I do, but it's a photographers camera, not a gear lusters camera. A lot of Leicaphiles would have me stoned. I have no problem with people buying whatever they want, just a bit of Robin Hood in me. Stick it to the 1 percenters. :tongue:

13. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

iam, but I don't feel guilty about it. it is normal for people who like a craft toenjoy the tools of the trade too.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. DannL.

DannL. Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I own just the cameras listed in my signature block. I have one 35mm rangefinder on the way, and that camera I don't need having ordered it out of desperation. I know I'm a snob. I just don't know how to act like one . . . yet.

16. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    A snob looks down his nose at what other folks own/use/covet and by definition, APUGers do that. Film versus digital. It's ingrained - no pun intended.

17. Lowly

Lowly Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My cameras have to be german like my leicas, linhofs and rolleiflexes. Except for those ones that are sort of german like my Contaxes and Zeiss ZMs. But then there are those that have that air of german quality like my Sinar and Hasselblads. And then there are those cameras that just work and are built like german tanks, like my Nikons and Fuji texas leicas. My favourite at the moment is of course my Instax.

18. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aren't we all in our own way.

19. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I totally am. :smile: Although I always aspire to greater things...

Marc!

20. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John, of course I'm a snob. A consummate snob. Or, if you prefer French, je suis tres snob.

But not about possessions. I rate people on the way they rate others. Rate others on what they have or don't have, m'friend, and you sink to the bottom. Rate yourself on what you have, same result.

21. jumbosilverette

jumbosilverette Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not a snob when it comes to equipment. Impress me with your pictures.

22. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nonsense. There are plenty of people here who shoot both film and digital, and some of those who shoot only film don't seem to look down their noses at the pixel folks.

-NT

23. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, and no. On one hand I like what I like, and often those can be pretty inexpensive cameras, like old folders, or maybe a Nikon F. On the other, I have spent fairly large amounts of money (by my standards) to get precisely what I was after.

So, on one hand no, I don't covet fancy Leicas (I had an MP once, it was an unremarkable experience), but on the other, I don't rule out spending a lot to get what I want.

I only shoot film, and I sure as hell look down on the digital shooters. (semi-joke).

24. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes. I will only use *modified* Holgas. I need a shirt to wear when I'm using my view camera that says "My other camera is a piece of crap."

Oh...and my Bronica is kind of a beater. It works a treat though.

25. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are there cameras in this picture? Odd, I'm not seeing them.

I do look down my nose quite a bit, but that's where the viewfinder is! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013
  26. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm am sorta. I've haven't bought anything recently.

Jeff