Are you satisfied now LF-pushers?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Soeren, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So........ Well ok here it goes.
    I bought this lens with some extras, a 90mm f/8 Super angulon.
    Well, actually I got not just that but also a 150mm f/5.6 symmar.
    Ok some filmholders got thrown in,........ and a polback, a 3X4 polback, and a 6X7cm back.
    Well actually I bought a Sinar Norma 5X7 with a 4X5 reducing back, Sigh. :confused:
    Are you satisfied now? :mad: You know, its all your fault.
    So that makes me a large format shoo/owner :smile:
    Ok some Qs
    The 90mm Super angulon got the prediction "for pictorial effects only" from the seller. Is that the normal view on this lens (could be this specimen only).
    How does the two lenses cover 13X18cm?
    The ground glasses look somewhat dim, should I buy new ones? How much better will they be.
    Hints and good advises?
    Kind regards
    Søren

2. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Don't worry, your feelings of inadequacy are far from over... Now you've finally got the large format stuff, you'll suddenly realise how many people don't think it's proper large format until at least 8x10 :smile:

Seriously though, sounds like some nice toys. I'm only just on the start of my large-format voyage, but it's a great learning experience :smile: .

3. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi Søren,

Always glad to see someone else lose their soul to LF! Sounds like a great kit, especially with all the reducing backs.

I have no experience with those specific lenses so can't offer any advice with respect to them.

The gg probably are dim. They usually are. The Satin Snow gg is excellent. I can actually focus pretty good without a loupe. The other alternative is to buy fresnel viewing plates. However, if memory serves me right, a new Satin Snow is less money than a new fresnel.

4. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    HAH! Some truth to that in my experience. However, I think you will find the 5x7 format very pleasing. Its substantially larger than the 4x5; composing through the gg is a wondrous experience, and it makes a very nice contact print.

5. scootermm

scootermm Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    soeren, youve been mislead... 4x5/5x7 are medium format.
    :smile:

congrats on the new acquisition.

6. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Søren,

My 90mm f:8 Super Angulon is super sharp, and covers 5x7" straight on. If it's "pictorial effects only", there might be something very wrong with it.

7. TimVermont

TimVermont Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Søren,

Check the serial number on your Super-Angulon: the rear component should be engraved with the same last four digits as the serial number on the front rim. If they are not a set, that is a problem. Also check for proper seating in the shutter, etc. Mine gives excellent results. Schneider's coverage figures are very conservative, mine does cover 5x7"/13x18cm @f22.

8. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you'll find the 90 to be quite wide on 5x7. Congrats on the Norma kit, I'm jealous. They're terrific cameras. There are lots of options for ground glass replacements - SatinSnow is just one option. I would look into getting a Sinar fresnel and ground-glass kit for your Norma; it will be quite a bit brighter and sharper. Yes it will be more expensive, but it will also be brighter than a SatinSnow - the Sinar OEM glass-and-fresnel is VERY bright. If that doesn't work, take measurements and see if a Canham glass-and-fresnel will fit (call up a Keith Canham dealer and ask them to get you dimensions). I did that substitute on my Shen Hao 4x5, as the factory ground glass was quite dim.

9. Rolleiflexible

Rolleiflexible Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Søren, I too shoot a 5x7 Norma. If you want THE BEST ground glass that will be so bright people will ask you if it's an LCD display, get yourself a Maxwell screen:

http://www.mattclara.com/maxwell/index.html

Bill Maxwell's screens are eyepoppingly bright, and easy to focus. Expensive, but worth every penny.

If you find that you need a bellows for your Norma, these folks have patterns on hand and can ship you a replacement within a week's time, and their prices are the lowest among established makers:

http://www.camerabellows.com/

Have fun with Norma -- she's a sweetheart.

RFXB

10. CBG

CBG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just go shoot and ignore all the pesky people .... including me.

C

PS You have yourself some fine stuff there!

11. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Congrats, Søren!

Now you've got a serious kit to play with, let's see some work done with it. :smile:

12. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys, I envy myself :tongue:
    I cant find any serialnumber on the rear of the lens so I might have to take it apart.
    Sorry jerevan, I don't have a scanner :sad:
    How about the screens from "Sheetfilm" ?
    I can't wait to get the opotunity to try it out, I already have three or four subjects in mind :smile:
    Kind regards
    Søren

13. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    8x10 is the next, then does beckon the ULF. Then be satisfied, we will. Your turn to the darkslide will be complete, it will. :smile:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have three 90mm Super-Angulon f8 lenses, of different vintages, and they are all "tack" sharp, if stopped down just a little bit.

16. Kilgallb

Kilgallb Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ok, I have been searching for a 90 mm for my 4x5 for a few months now. I have seen Fujinon F8, Super Angulon F8 and Super Angulon F6.8.

Can anyone help me understand the quality differences?

17. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations Soeren, welcome to the Norma club.

My recommendation would be to just use the beast for a while and see what you miss, or what annoys you so much you are prepared to spend money to change it.

if you want a cheap pile of E6 film for learning with, MXV in the UK have a large pile of slightly out of date 5x4 Astia and Velvia (the Velvia in Quickload).

18. Ole

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There is no serial on the rear of mine, either. Nor have I ever found any other reference to there being serial numbers on both cells?

19. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thats a great idea Struan. Plenty of things to use money for with such a beast. Loupe, Lenses, Darkslides etc.

What ??? Its not a toycamera, its a 13X18 :D
    Well ok Struan it would be a great idea if I did the E6 processing myself. One sheet is 55DKR at a prolab in Copenhagen :sad:
    I thought about buying some 4X5 Tri-X and soup them in Diafine but I do have a pack of Adox 100 in 13X18.
    I look forward to our little shootout and/or the Vrå-tour :smile:
    Kind regards
    Søren

20. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about movements? Not much I suspect. I plan to do some shooting in a couple of days if the weathergods behave.
    Kind regards
    Søren

21. Ole

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Movements?

let's say - sufficient for this one:

Attached Files:

22. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Loupe: I have one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pentax-50mm-F...yZ101642QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Lenses: Your 150 is a mild wide on 13x18, normal with the 4x5 reducing back, portrait length with the roll film holder. Ditto (mutatis mutandis) with the 90. Go take some pictures :smile:

Mine is a toy camera with a usefully long bellows :smile:

Peak Imaging in the UK is great for 4x5. For bigger film you're on your own....

23. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Did someone say cheap E6? I hate Velvia, but if it's going for cheap I'm interested - am I right in thinking Quickload can be used in a Polaroid holder? (Advice for OP - I think a Polaroid holder is well worth it, even if Pola film is hellishly expensive...)

24. TimVermont

TimVermont Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Serial Numbers on Schneider Lenses?

Hmm, ok, I pulled out the rest of my lenses, and the ones at work. All the Schneiders are also marked Linhof, and all have four tiny (2 - 2,5mm high) numbers on the rear components. Two are Super-Angulons (90 + 121), two Tele-Xenars, and one Symmar. I have no problem sharing the info from my lenses: Technika Tele-Xenar 1:5,5/360 SN 6203039 with 3039 engraved on rear component; Technika Super-Angulon 1:8/90 SN 5221520 with 1520 engraved on the rear component. Time for some other people to pull out their Schneider lenses so we can get to the bottom of this-does Linhof add the numbers, or do (some/certain vintages of) Schneiders come this way from the factory?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2007
  25. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Søren,

I'm sorry, but since I don't care what format others shoot as long as what they use pleases them I'm as satisfied after getting your news as I was before.

Good luck, have fun, learn and grow,

Dan

26. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow, what a perspective.
    Is that front or back tilt? Front??
    Eh the syncro compur that came with the 90mm is a bit(lot) sticky from 1/8sec and up. at 1sec it is totally gummed up. From 1/15 and down it sounds right. CLA? Where?
    Kind regards
    Søren