Argh! Light leak.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by ntenny, Mar 26, 2008.

1. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's all your fault, fellow APUG folks. I haven't shot much 35mm in a long time, but a thread here inspired me to pull out one of my old rangefinders and put a couple of rolls through. The self-timer control had fallen apart the last time I had the camera out---Soviet quality control at work---but since I can't remember the last time I used a self-timer I didn't worry about it.

It didn't occur to me that the hole left by a piece that fell out would go through to the takeup chamber! Shot after shot after shot ensconced itself on the film, rolled onto the takeup spool, then sat there getting a lovely stripe burned across it.

Out of the two rolls, I might have five frames that are salvageable because they didn't sit on the surface long enough to be completely wiped out. Obviously, the *other* 67 frames were works of genius, every one! Bother.

I've taped the hole and am trying again. But, really, how disheartening. Just needed to vent a bit.

-NT

2. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Soviet-era rangefinder? When there are fine Japanese rangefinders going for a song on eBay? I got a Yashica MG-1 there a couple years ago for like, $15.

3. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the fifties-industrial gestalt of the Soviet RFs, though. And I lucked out on one of them and got an Industar-26 lens (basically a Tessar clone) that produces some really, really lovely pictures. Um, when I don't wipe them out by leaving holes in the camera, that is.

You can have my share of the 70s Japanese rangefinders. I don't have world enough and time to go in that direction along with everything else. There are plate cameras and TLRs out there that need me! :smile:

-NT

4. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sounds like a nice camera

I understand. My advice was meant half in jest, but those Japanese cameras are probably more reliable. As you mentioned the Soviet quality-control seems a bit low on your camera - how long until a shoddy screw or gear goes bad and leaves you unable to use the camera at all?

5. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So sorry to hear that, NT. I could have had the same probs with a homemade pinhole canera I made except I just happened to notice that the tripod hole goes all the way through (it was a folder and the bellows stopped the light). Hope it goes better from here.

6. RoNinHeart

RoNinHeart Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well at least now you know where it is. Had the same problem with an old half frame that lost one of it's strap eyelets.

7. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me too! This is getting silly; I shot a whole roll with the same camera yesterday, only to notice that it seemed like there were an awful lot of frames, and then that when I advanced the film, the feeder spool didn't seem to be turning...

I've used the camera before with good results, but something's clearly Just Not Right here. Maybe a poltergeist has moved in there in the couple of years since I last used it.

You just don't get this kind of entertainment with d*g*t*l. :smile:

-NT

8. marsbars

marsbars Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    At least your light leak is from something you can fix with some tape. I shot several rolls of B&W film that to my tight budget isn't cheap, only to find out that my F2 has a light leak in it, but it is the shutter itself. The titanium foil in the shutter has finally given out from age. There is a small tear that doesn't look like a tear till you shine bright light into it. I think that I could still use the camera for certain things as the tear is only on the curtain that is exposed when the shutter is cocked. I could probably still use it for static shots. Only cock the shutter the moment I am ready to shoot, remove the lens cap and shoot. More of a PITA than it is worth if you ask me. It will get fixed sooner than later, just have to save the dough to get it repaired.

9. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Basically then, what you have a is a more expensive, metal Holga?

Regards, Art (Runs and hides ...)

10. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have no idea what the internal tolerances are like on an F2---could you put a tiny dab of liquid electrical tape on it or something? Or is that just the sort of crazy idea that comes from people who use Soviet cameras?

-NT

11. marsbars

marsbars Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I suppose that could work for a while, but I have never seen liquid electrical tape. But I would think that it could gum up the drum that the shutter curtain rides on. Might have to look into that liquid electrical tape though till I can afford to get the shutter curtains replaced. Right now it is just a nice paper weight, or hammer if I really need it.:D