Argus A

Discussion in 'Antiques and Collecting' started by 2F/2F, Dec 16, 2010.

1. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

I was just given an Argus A that is in nice cosmetic shape. Doing a little research on the history of this camera, I see that it is considered an important camera, historically speaking. It makes me feel good to have it!

It is beautiful. It needs some work on the shutter before I can use it, but I am looking forward to it.

Does anyone here shoot with one, and if so, do you have any examples you could show?

Using the preset zone focusing should be interesting. I imagine that the camera isn't of much use at any of the wider apertures. There is no way you can simply select the close range focus zone (Was it 6 to 18 feet, 6 to 12 feet, or something like that?) at f/4.5 or f/8 and expect to get everything in the range sharp.

I guess it will be a sunny 16 camera primarily, but I hope I can find some good use for it.

I'd also like a lens hood for it, if anyone has a spare one lying there. Is this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Argus-30mm-alum...45?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e4d32e9d?

2. rjbuzzclick

rjbuzzclick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an early single sprocket Model A, and a Model AF as well. I'm more partial to the AF because of the scale focusing. Here are two shots from the AF, which has the same lens as the A:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]