Argus C3 Colormatic Shutter Speed Question

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Clocker, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Clocker

Clocker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can the shutter speed dial on an Argus C3 colormatic only be turned the direction of the arrow?

Or can you turn the dial either way?

I have an old 1948 C3 and I think the shutter speed dial turns in complete revolutions either direction and the dial tensions up when getting to the slower shutter speeds.

I just got another a model C3 colormatic with the older side flash from the mid 1950s in prime working order and do not know if I should turn it in complete revolutions (the arrow points counterclockwise) when setting the shutter speed.

Thank you for any replies.

2. one90guy

one90guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I remember correctly there is a rather large indent at the 300 speed which would prevent turning in the opposite direction.

3. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Turn the dial only one way.

You do not have to turn in complete revolutions.

But turn the way the arrow shows.

4. Clocker

Clocker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Understood that I only go the way the arrow shows, but to use a speed at 1/100 and then to go to use either 1/50 or 1/25 and back to 1/100 again, I would have to go in a complete revolution if only going the direction of the arrow.

I just do not want to take any chances on the possibility of tweaking this camera out of it's current state of operation.

Thanks for the answers.