Arista EDU 100 Developer Recommendations

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by brofkand, Jul 5, 2012.

1. brofkand

brofkand Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used EDU 400 for Photo 1 in college 3 or 4 years ago, never used 100. I remember 400 as being very contrasty, so I ended up using HP5 or Tri-X for the rest of that class.

Anyway, as I have slowed down and going for more quality over quantity (my professor required 10 contact sheets and at least 3 prints for every project in Photo 1), I've moved to slower films. I shoot a ton of Acros developed in Rodinal, and am just starting to work on Delta 400 for the times I need faster film or more pushing capability. I shoot 35mm 95% of the time.

I just got 2 rolls of EDU 100 to try out too. I've heard very good things about it, and since it's cheap I figured I'd give it a shot. Acros has risen in price to where it's a little too expensive to shoot as frequently as I have been, so hopefully I can find a cheaper alternative for some circumstances. The developers I use and have available to me are D-76, Rodinal and HC-110.

Which developer do you have good results with? I am inclined to start with Rodinal; it is a wonderful developer for Acros so I'm hoping it will be for EDU 100 as well.

Is 100 as contrasty and curly as 400? My negatives shot in Photo 1 with 400 are still curly, even after 3 years sitting in print files in a 3-ring binder.

Thanks!

2. Darkroom317

Darkroom317 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have had generally good results with Rodinal 1:50

Except for some issues but those are my own fault. Otherwise the tonality is perfect.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2012
  3. donkee

donkee Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. brofkand

brofkand Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm going to give Rodinal a shot. Thanks for that link; I read the thread a few days ago but re-reading it gives a fresh perspective now that I have the film in my camera.

D-76 times seem to be very vague in Freestyle's literature: 8-10 minutes at 1:1...odd. I suppose splitting the difference at 9 minutes is a good starting point?

5. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I develop fomapan, which os what arista edu is, in D76 stock, 8 minutes at 20, gives negatives with lovely tonality with the 400, which I rate at 320, for both the 35mm and 120.

6. graywolf

graywolf Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A technique that works well for me with Arista is: Stand develop in Rodinal 1:100 for an hour with about 5 inversions after pouring in the developer, no additional agitation. Stop bath is a one minute water rinse. Fix two minutes. Three fill and dump rinses of 5, 10, and 20 minutes.

There are two reasons I use that technique: 1, I am cheap. 2, I am lazy.

The only problem I have found with this technique is that I need to get a multi-roll tank (or at least additional tanks).

7. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm sure there are probably as many ways to develop this film as there are developers, fortunately for me it seems pretty forgiving that way. I have had good success with Arista Premium mixed both 1+9 (my favorite concoction right now) and 1+19, as well as with Rodinal at 1+50 and 1+100.