Arista.EDU Ultra 120 Film and gummed tape wrapper

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by BardParker, Feb 10, 2013.

1. BardParker

BardParker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe this is just me, but I have shot about 10 rolls of Arista.EDU Ultra film in 120 over the past few months. Every time I try to remove the gummed tape securing the paper backing to the roll, in order to load the film, it partially tears the black paper backing. This then leaves shreds of tiny black paper in my Mamiya 7 and Pentax 645N as the film is rolled onto the takeup spool. I have to be careful when loading and unloading to clean all this junk out. This doesn't seem to happen with other films: Kodak, Fuji, Ilford. Am I doing something wrong, or have other APUG members noticed these rolls are hard to open?

Regards,

Kent

2. el wacho

el wacho Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Had the same experience. Don't peel it off. İ cut through the middle with my nail to leave the pieces stuck, glued and intact.

3. jstout

jstout Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    gets loose

I see the same thing. And, when the roll is done the tape is useless to secure the finished roll. It doesn't stick. I use a rubber band to keep the roll wrapped tight, and then put it in a black plastid can for safe keeping until ready to develop, so it doesn't get light leaks.

It seems like nice film, though. But, I do make an effort to keep it rolled up tight while handling it so I don't get light leaks.

Attached Files:

4. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    jstout, that is a nice picture, the film looks great. Question, is it softer than something from Kodak or Ilford? Another words, scratch easier? TY

5. 37th Exposure

37th Exposure Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Peel and stick

Don't lick the end tape. Peel off the little strips of pale yellow backing paper to reveal adhesive.

6. germar

germar Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I didn't have too hard a time "cutting" through the tape with a thumbnail. My main complaint with this film is that it curls along it's length very badly once developed, therefore making it very difficult to load into my scanner's holder. It's okay film, but the curling problem is a showstopper.

Regards

7. jstout

jstout Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Fotch, for the nice compliment. I will defer to others here with infinitely more experience handling different films in varying conditions, on the issue of vulnerabity of the emulsion, as I am relatively new at developing. My process is to pre-rinse this film (and rinse between steps), use a Kodak hardening fixer, and I am very careful handling the film, and to date haven't noticed any glaring issues.

8. jstout

jstout Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    adhesive

Thanks for the heads up. I will check this out next time.
    Jeff

9. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Beautiful image. I always was curious about this film and what it can produce. I'm digging the price too. Thanks for posting.

ToddB