Arista in Canada

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by dfoo, Mar 21, 2009.

1. dfoo

dfoo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Towards the end of the ill fated Ilford in Canada thread I saw some recommendations about where to get Arista in Canada. Unfortunately, I didn't write them down... I know Henry's carries it, but its a bit expensive. Where else is it available?

2. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I saw some at Burlington Camera in Burlington Ontario. Not sure which Arista film(s) or price it was though.

3. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The easiest and least expensive way to get it will be to buy it from Freestyle directly, since it is their house brand. I have a strong suspicion that any store that stocks Arista films merely mail orders it from Freestyle themselves, and marks it up accordingly.

4. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    While all Arista product is owned and marketed by Freestyle, they do have a wholesale division that sells to retailers.

5. dfoo

dfoo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ordering from freestyle is all well and good, and I've done that. However, their shipping is very expensive since they refuse to use USPS, and an in-canada alternative would be better.

6. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The shipping is costly, but if you buy the film in quantity, it amortizes out to be very reasonable.

What are Canadian retail prices? To be competitive pre-shipping they'd have to be in the $2.50-$2.75 Canadian per roll range. If they're over $4 there's no way they can compete.

7. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You may want to check again. A year or two ago they added new shipping options. They've got an ordering and shipping policies page that specifies, among other things, USPS Priority Mail International as an option. I don't know how much that would help, but it's worth reviewing the information. You might give them a call if you need more information.

8. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I missed the comment about USPS. I've ordered three times from Freestyle over the last couple of years, and had all of the shipments sent by USPS. It absolutely is possible.

9. CRhymer

CRhymer Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    All of my (many) shipments from Freestyle have come by USPS Priority Mail International to Canada.

Cheers,
    Clarence

10. dfoo

dfoo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ok, you are right. I also had mine shipped USPS priority mail. However, the order was $180 and the shipping was $42. Thats pretty expensive in my books.

11. cmacd123

cmacd123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Have to blame the USPS, not freestyle. At current rates, the shipping comes to about 2 bucks US a pound. I don't beleive that freestyle marks it up any.

12. dfoo

dfoo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't care who to blame. What I care is that its expensive to order from the US, hence my query as to whether Arista is available in Canada!

13. dfoo

dfoo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Since I don't know any retailers that sell Arista besides Henry's, I don't know what the Canadian retail prices are. The is the reason for my question :D

14. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know Don's doesn't carry it.

I've had excellent service from Photo Central based out of Winnipeg for all film-related purchases -- their site is darkroomcentral.ca, I'd recommend going there to see if they can help.

(I have no ties to that company, just making a recommendation based on personal experience)

15. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Henry's has a website. Is the film not listed there?

16. dfoo

dfoo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, at Henry's its $3.99 a roll. They don't have bulk.

17. gerryyaum

gerryyaum Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I have had 4 or 5 boxes shipped from Freestyle to Edmonton, and they are all shipped by USPS...have to make it larger orders thou to save on shipping costs, as it is still fairly expensive.

18. gerryyaum

gerryyaum Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I have also bought photo paper, and chemistry from darkroom central, they are a pleasure to deal with and ship quickly.