Arista Question

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Lruw, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Lruw

Lruw Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Has anybody used Arista films before? I can't find a lot, but the price of the films is certainly right. I was looking at getting some cheap 35mm and 120 to practice development on. I don't need art gallery print quality, so I would be fine with mid-range quality. Besides, I'd rather not mess up development on something that costs $4+ a roll.

Thanks for helo.

2. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Arista Premium is good old Kodak Tri-x. Wicked awesome film.

3. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are many recent APUG threads on this topic, such as this one or this one. In brief, Freestyle uses a number of suppliers for their house brands. For film, these are currently Foma (Arista.EDU Ultra), Kodak (Arista Premium), and Fuji (Legacy Pro). All accounts indicate that the house brand stuff is as good as the branded equivalents, but this is based on user reports, not laboratory data. There's also some uncertainty about whether the house brand films are identical in all respects to the name brands; they could be slightly different emulsions -- although if they are, the differences seem small. Note that there are of course differences between suppliers -- by all accounts, Kodak and Fuji have much better quality control than Foma, for instance. Since both Kodak and Foma products get the "Arista" label (and others have had that label in the past), it's hard to make judgments about Arista film generally; you need to ask about the specific product.

4. David William White

David William White Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used a ton of 120 Arista.EDU Ultra in 100 and 400, and that was Foma. The package says 'Czech Republic'. Freestyle offers (or had offered) a further break at 20+ rolls, it's a great price, a great learner film. I've done lots of portrait sessions with it and still use it. It does not lay flat. Under any circumstances. If negative curl freaks you out, then stick with the majors. That's my small contribution.

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've only shot one roll so far,I had a major problem getting the stuff to load into a patterson ratchet reel. It seems the base feels extremely thin, and kept wrinkling, and just wouldn't load. I've switched to stainless reels and tank, and solved that problem. overall it seems fine enough,but I'm notas fanatical as some. So far I like it, the caveat, is to shoot a ton of it, then a ton of hi-buck celluloid, and compare. Personally I am just gonna shoot it, and continue to adjust to the films quirks. This is mainly a financial decision, I will occasionally tinker with other films, probably some IR. I enjoy the darkroom more than shooting , I only shoot to satisfy my lab jones.
    SSOOO-- keep your inner eye on soft focus, and shoot to satisfy your vision!

6. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The new AP plastic reels with blocks make it easier to load 120, 127.

They do have to be taken appart to get the film out of mind you.

7. David William White

David William White Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which Arista film did you try?

8. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Arista II iso 400 did I mention the crazy curling, and a touch of piping? All in all I am going to shoot 19 more rolls (I bought a pile to teach my wife and daughter) with help.

9. Silverhead

Silverhead Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Arista II (no longer available) was/is good old Agfa APX. I don't recall hearing much about Agfa film curling, nowhere near as many as Foma anyway.

10. mccolalx

mccolalx Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've been using the Arista Premium 400, which everyone says is Tri-X.
    While it's a good film (especially for the price), I'm not convinced that it is Tri-X.
    I developed 2 rolls of Arista Premium and 2 rolls of genuine Tri-X @1250 in Diafine (1 roll of each in 2 separate Patterson tanks). I accidentally used exhausted fixer (grabbed the wrong jug) and it severely streaked each roll of the Arista, but the Tri-X was pretty much unaffected. I've also noticed that it is a good bit harder to remove the purple tint from the Arista than it is to get it out of the Tri-X (anyone with any suggestions?).

11. Rick-in-LB

Rick-in-LB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have to agree with you on this. Even though I am relatively new to film this time around, it just seems to me missing/lacking something. Oh well, which taste better New Coke or Old Coke... it's still Coke.

12. sidearm613

sidearm613 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Having used both tri-x and ap 400 before, they are the exact same film, but I think the ap 400 is a slghtly lower quality film, as far as grain and pushability.
    Ap 100 is plus x, and, like mentioned before, arista edu is fomapan 100 and 400. That stuff is a spring with backing paper. :smile:
    I would grovel for some arista II.

13. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have never used the (claimed) Arista OEM Tri-X, but have seen sensitometric readings from both versions and tonally they are identical.

I have used a fair amount of the Arista Ultra.EDU, and while I love the tonality of all three emulsions in 35mm, 120, and 4x5 - I am dissatisfied with the quality control, how easily it scratches, and how the 120 film base curls.
    I don't know what causes pinholes in the emulsion, but I know I get them on films that were developed in the same tank as Tri-X or HP5+ and the Kodak/Ilford were fine.

To me it's false economy to use them. Most of the time they're fine, but I'd rather pay 90 cents extra and get Neopan 100 or 400 (in 120).

14. mccolalx

mccolalx Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    i think that it's something in the grain structure...it just doesn't seem to have the same depth that actual Tri-X has. it's hard to describe, but something "feels" a little different about the Arista.

15. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps it's the price? :D