Aristo VCL on a Durst L184

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Early Riser, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Early Riser

Early Riser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am considering purchasing an Aristo Variable contrast cold light head. Has anyone had experience with this combination? Also my experience is with dichro heads for B&W what is the difference in operation between a Variable contrast cold light head and a Dichro?

Is it a problem to attach the Aristo to a Durst L184? Thanks,

2. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I don't know about fitting it to the Durst but I have used the Aristo VCL for a long time and I like it but the first thing you will have to get used to is how dim the printing light is. I am using a later generation Aristo VCL head and for some reason I have to print at a high contrast setting. My normal contrast setting is between 3.2 and 4. Those issues aside it is a great head.

3. Early Riser

Early Riser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Thanks for replying. Is the apparent dimness of the light a problem for dodging and burning? Do you need to work in an exceptionally dark darkroom?

4. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Brian,

What advantages do you see in using a cold light head? I've only used condenser or more recently dichroic heads.

5. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Early Riser, yes I do definitely keep the dark room very dark for that reason. If you use a Thomas safe light or something that is very bright, the image is hard to see. Personally I am happy to work in a dark dark room just lit with red LEDs

Tom the advantage to a cold light is smoother tones and less problem with scratches and dust on the negative showing up on the print.

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A couple other advantages (in the 8x10 size) is that less heat means no fan, and the overall head height can be lower than a dichro or condenser head.

7. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can see how that is an advantage. With all the fans going full throttle, my darkroom can sound like a small plane.

Tom.

8. Early Riser

Early Riser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tom, some of the advantages have been posted. I'm in the process now of learning about all the advantages as well.

9. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The noise is actually another reason I work with a darker darkroom. I find the hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm of the thomas florescent safe light to drive me insane.