Arsene Lupen

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Mustafa Umut Sarac, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I found this picture when I was surfing for French Comics. Look at his eyeglass. I liked it very much.
    How such eyeglass been constructed , measured ? Is it full circle or a asymmetric shape ? What is its name ?
    Do you know a place which can make for me and with a harness - if the right name in english harness , I m not sure for that -

Thanks ,

Umut

Attached Files:

2. billbretz

billbretz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocle

From Wikipedia (link above):
    "A monocle is a type of corrective lens used to correct the vision in only one eye. It consists of a circular lens, generally with a wire ring around the circumference that can be attached to a string. The other end of the string is then connected to the wearer's clothing to avoid losing the monocle. The antiquarian Philipp von Stosch wore a monocle in Rome in the 1720s, in order to closely examine engravings and antique engraved gems, but the monocle did not become an article of gentlemen's apparel until the nineteenth century. It was introduced by the dandy's quizzing glass of the 1790s, as a sense of high fashion."

And everything else you ever wanted to know about monocles, except, perhaps for all the other questions you had like where to get one made....

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have that book but it's an older hardback copy without a picture.

Steve.

4. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I you buy one, be certain to ask for a monocle and not a manacle! :blink:

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Or get one of each!

Steve.

6. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Someone already posted about monocle. The best American English word for the harness is "lanyard," but some people would call it a "keeper." Both are correct to use, and both would be understood by most American English speakers. Not sure about other variants of English.