Art 300 query

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by PhotoBob, Mar 13, 2013.

1. PhotoBob

PhotoBob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some people I've talked to using Ilford's new Art 300 paper are finding that it yellows somewhat and that prints look flat when dried.
    Has anyone else using this paper noticed this?
    Any suggestions?

My thoughts were around the fixing time and whether or not the image is toned or not regarding the colouration and
    perhaps changing the contrast if print seems flat when dry ... just some thoughts :smile:

2. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In my experience, the paper is marvelous for some images...not suited to others but that's an aesthetic opinion.

It REALLY floats while washing so keep that in mind as you do so. The surface 'pebbling' seems to affect shadows and how they look, from what I can see. Never saw any yellowing, but I'm basing it on my (limited, to others) experience.

3. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Paper is the same emulsion as Ilford Warmtone, just looks flatter due to the surface of the support paper.
    I love this paper, and yes it is warmer when dry , I use weights on top to hold the paper in the vertical washer.
    I find this to be a first rate paper, a rival to any papers out there past and present.

It tones exactly as one would expect using a warmtone paper and I like the thickness and the way it drys .

4. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Art 300 is a beautiful paper. I haven't seen any evidence of yellowing-it's coated on Hahnemühle cotton rag paper. Not sure why anyone would call images on Art 300 'flat", since it's a variable contrast paper with a nice tonal range. My only suggestion is to buy some Art 300. We're lucky to have such a fine and unique paper--so buy it before it gets discontinued and the remaining stock triples in price, and everyone laments its passing. :cool:

5. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The paper has a very pale 'ivory' coloured base.

It's a textured paper so d-max isn't going to be as high as glossy. That said, the paper works wonderfully with images with huge swathes of pure black - the texture gives the black some life.

6. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Absolutely
    very good observation, I just finished a 25 image show on this paper where Black was important and yes I agree the texture helps the black.

7. PhotoBob

PhotoBob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I agree that it is a wonderful paper with large areas of blacks.
    I personally like working with this paper, but as mentioned it befits some images while not others.
    I am just sharing from other's comments and was looking for advice.

8. horacekenneth

horacekenneth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You know I'm looking at an example I printed last night and it has an off-white tone to the paper - not sure if that's been there all along or if that came after it dried honestly, but I could see someone describing it as "yellowish". I'd be interested in hearing from someone who knew about it and why.
    I haven't experienced anything that could be called "flatness" though

9. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I haven't seen any yellowing or flatness in my prints. I love this paper.