Art Guilds

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by davetravis, Nov 2, 2006.

1. davetravis

davetravis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There's a new art guild that's been started here in Castle Rock.
    I'm trying to decide if I should join.
    Now I was in photo clubs before, and really enjoyed them, but we were all photogs and had that in common.
    But this guild will contain all forms of artists, 2 and 3 dimensional.
    Has anyone ever been in one of these?
    What were your experiences.
    Thanks in advance for helping me to decide.
    DT

2. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've found that you can get some very useful information from non-photography related artists. Photographers, when encountered in groups, seem (to me) to gravitate toward technical issues while artists in other media tend to look more toward artistic commentary. I would certainly give it a shot as long as the membership costs are not prohibitive.

- Randy

3. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Dave,

I am a juried member of the Pennsylvania Guild of Craftsmen. It is one of the oldest guilds in the US and is a guild of Craftsmen. Photography in the Guild is considered as craft, but as far as I am concerned they are the only art form in the guild. Most of the members are potters or workers in porcelain or clay, wood workers, jewelers, fiber workers, glass workers, paper makers, paper cutters, etc. The Guild has about half a dozen Art and Craft Shows per year and many of the Chapters also have Art and Craft Shows. Additionally, the Guild also offers classes in different fields of craft (and are taught by the membership). I would say, that if it is not too expensive that it is worth the membership. Being a juried member carries some degree of prestige throughout the US.

Rich

4. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Pardon me for getting off topic here, but Rich, I find it really facinating that you are part of a group like that. I've looked for a while for a similar group around where I live - I work with wood a fair bit as well as photography - but I've not found anything like what you just described - what an opportunity! Thanks for sharing that bit.

- Randy

5. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am primarily a serious amateur photographer, and find involvement in other artist's groups rewarding. It certainly should be worth investigating.

6. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think that photographers have much to gain from involvement in and exposure to the other arts.