Artists Reception, Monday July 17, 5-6PM, Hotel Palomar, Washington DC

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by TheFlyingCamera, Jul 13, 2006.

1. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been invited to be the first artist to present their work at a new artists reception series being hosted by the Hotel Palomar in Washington DC. It is a new hotel, in the Dupont Circle neighborhood (within walking distance from the Dupont Circle Metro stop - 2121 P Street NW). They are doing this to promote the hotel cocktail lounge and to showcase local artists. The format will be an informal Q&A session with the artist, who will be showing 4-6 smaller works, or 1-2 larger works. Anyone who can make it is more than welcome to attend- the event is free. I hope to see some of you there!

2. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Congratulations. I wish I could be there, but the hours don't cooperate with my work hours.

3. wfe

wfe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations Scott !!!

Regards,
    Bill

4. SteveH

SteveH Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Excellent to hear Scott !

5. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Good news indeed Scott...

6. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many thanks all. I'll be showing a few of my 8x10 pt/pd prints from Eastern State Penitentiary, as well as some of my work from the C&O Canal.

7. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Best wishes with this, Scott! Sounds fun, wish I could be there!

8. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations! I'll try to make it if I can get free of meetings early enough to get downtown in time. Wish it ran later than 6.

9. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congrats Scott! Wish I could be there but have other committents... sometimes one's job just gets in the way!
    Good Luck.

gene

10. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Many congratulations Scott. You've earned this in my book.

11. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Congratulations Scott!

12. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Well done Scott, and best of luck!

13. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I had the reception this afternoon. It was a great success. I sold a print, met a potential portrait client, and got invited back to present at future dates. I also got an invitation to be one of their presenters at a future "Artists Weekend" where they will bring in local artists to demonstrate their techniques. This would be a paying job. Needless to say, I'm thrilled with the opportunity!

I must put in my plug for the Hotel Palomar here. They are going out of their way to promote the local arts scene - they want to be known as "The Arts Hotel". If you have the opportunity to stay in one - they are part of the Kimpton Group of hotels - I would encourage you to give them a look-see.

14. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry I missed it, but I was still meeting with my boss at 5:30 in Falls Church.

15. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm going to talk to the hotel about maybe making this from 5:30 to 6:30 or 6 to 7 instead... the 5-6 thing is a bit hard for a lot of folks to make.

16. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That would really help. Most people in this town are still working at 5, and the target audience for fine art photography is likely to work later.

17. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think they forget, since they're a hotel, and they intend to draw hotel guests... not all of whom are there on business travel.

18. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    More notes on the hotel reception concept -

1. Free wine. 'nuff said.

2. The hotel Palomar in DC already has a list of about 160 artists they plan to invite through. It encompasses the entire range of artforms, from photography and painting/drawing to glass, other 2d/3d artforms, and performing arts - mostly musicians I suspect, but if you or someone you know is a poet/writer, it wouldn't hurt to inquire about doing a reading. I'll post again when I hear more about the teaching opportunity and when I have a class scheduled. Plan on it being a pt/pd/other alt process printing class (perhaps Cyanotype, just to keep the chemistry simple).

19. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's hard for anyone to make. 6 to 7 is impossible for anyone who doesn't work downtown. Before 6? You must be kidding.

The Kennedy Center and the Washington Performing Arts Society understand this well. This is why almost all performances begin at 8 PM. Even the Kirov's performance of 'Parsifal' began at 7.

Unless the Palomar is serving dinner they need to schedule it way outside the happy hour time frame.

20. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Does this have anything to do with their physical proximity to the Phillips Collection and all the galleries in the Dupont Circle neighborhood?

There used to be a lovely little hotel with an excellent restaurant called the Intrigue. It was known as the hotel for the performing arts, as it was just down New Hampshire from the Kennedy Center. Its restaurant was one of the few places open after the theater and we used to love going there after a concert, where we would often see many of the performers having supper. I don't think it's around anymore. Sounds like Kimpton is trying to establish the same theme.

I hope the Palomar succeeds. It sounds like they're off to a good start.