Arts Freedom Australia Rally in Sydney this Sunday

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Tony Egan, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Tony Egan

Tony Egan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ABC Radio National previewed this today. I'm sorry to say that I do wonder how many more photographs of Uluru or Kakadu, especially in the over the top full on colour and highly remunerative style of Ken Duncan do we need? If the indigenous mob, who gave Uluru back to Australia don't like the idea why not archive the infinite number of pics taken there and look for something truly artistic and original?

No, not the Sydney Opera House, nor Sydney Harbour, nor the Sydney skyline at night

There's some US site Antelope crevasse or something like that that is also endlessly photographed: once seen, to be duplicated ad infinitum.

Now if Ken Duncan and co were to stick up for the rights of street photography...

3. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which RN program, Ross? I would be interested in having a listen if I can track it down on the ABC website.
    Thanks
    Ian

4. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ross,

That's Antelope Canyon. But scant few photographers actually make a solid fist of the complexity of imaging that environment presents. I've only seen 3 LF prints locally here in Victoria from a guy who went over to the US specifically to photograph that and revisited 8 times before getting it right. It is the play (and rays) of light that is the key.

I think Uluru is abjectly boring. It was much more interesting on the day when Lindy Chamberlain wailed, "A photographer snatched my baby!", or something. I'd like to photograph it (the rock, I mean) in either tungsten or mono with water cascading off it. Not interested in colour pics of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2010
  5. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While I agree with your sentiments of Ken Duncan (He is a fantastic photographer, Just ask his publicist.....) and probably your sentiments in relation to the big tourist sites they are referencing, I do support what they are trying to do. Yes, we have all seen enough images of Uluru, but if the local governments can apply such restrictions, what's to say they won't apply such restrictions on anything that is in their jurisdiction?

BTW, what restrictions are there on Street Photography in this country? I have never seen too many complaints (but then again, I don't live in the Police state of NSW)

6. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, you don't have to be into cheesy oversized colour postcards to be concerned about restrictions on photography in National Parks, beaches, etc. Most of the current national park restrictions seem to be directed at commercial photography (at the moment anyway), so that doesn't directly concern me, but it is surely only a matter of time before I have to argue with a ranger that a tripod and large camera do not equal "professional".

As for the "NSW police state", we all have our crosses to bear, even in sunny Qld. You poor Sth Australians have to put up with Alexander Downer! :D

Ian

7. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... and Christopher Pyne...

8. Tony Egan

Tony Egan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been seriously hassled and threatened 6 times in the last 5 years and had the police called on me twice so I don't really care what people think of Duncan's photography in this context. He is a big name getting publicity for a good cause. Does it help to know Rex Dupain is also attending?!

9. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for reminding me....:sad: (at least we don't have Mr Joyce...but hey, he told us all to move where there is more water..... Hmmm, maybe we should set up a tent city on Cubbie Station? Anyhow thats enough of that,else we start talking religion!).

As for the Rally, you guys have my support! Good luck (& yes you are right, having profiles as Mr Duncan involved is well worth it, regardless of what this (meaning me) rank amateur weekend warrior things of him!).

10. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In reference to the post by Tony Egan, that is astonishing. I have never been threatened, hassled, badgered, bumped or buggered by anybody in my time using a camera, anywhere. I've had a dog mistake my leg as a piddle-post, and another, a Jack Russell, mistake a tripod leg for a bone. But ... police etc being called? What's this about then? A few years ago the local camera club took offence at being labelled "terrorists" for photographing large round gas storage domes at the Corio Refinery. Somebody called the Police, they were all bundled up and taken for questioning!

11. Tony Egan

Tony Egan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Somewhere on my PC is a long blow by blow account of each incident which I posted in another forum a few years ago. I hate to admit this but I am sure I have changed my habits in recent years after getting really tired of the interference by security guards. I have heard Rex Dupain say the same thing and he is a pretty tall and intimidating guy!
    Part of the problem I suspect is I get a bit defensive and aggressive when challenged. My standard approach is to say if I'm breaking the law they should call the police and I'll deal with the police and not them and hold my ground. If they insist, I then pull out my mobile phone and suggest that I call the police for them asking them for their name so I can inform the police who it is making the complaint. Usually they grudgingly back off but keep a beady eye on me from a close distance.

The times the cops were called were once from the Anzac bridge and once in the Botany Bay area. On the Anzac bridge the security guard said if I was interested in the plans for the bridge I should apply in writing to the Sydney council, but I could not photograph it! WHAT!? I applied above technique so the guard called the cops and they pulled up at the end of the bridge about 100metres from where I stood. After about 30 seconds the cops got back in the car and drove away after which point the guard kept well away from me. I might have "won" that one, but deep down I don't like confrontation and cops make me nervous, so I felt like crap for the rest of the day.

The last serious incident was a security guard swerving hard in front of me on my bicycle to try to get me to stop after I photographed the late afternoon sun on the corrugated roof of a warehouse in the Rhodes area (from the footpath). As I was riding off, a security car pulled alongside and the driver started blowing the horn and yelling at me through the passenger window along the lines of hey, hey, what were you doing etc. I steadfastly ignored the shouts and refused to look at him at which point he decided to get physical with the car. I jumped the bike back onto the footpath and headed down a pedestrian only lane leaving him fuming behind.

Maybe it's all my fault? Maybe I should be nice as pie and politely compliant? But, I really can't abide unauthorised and unregulated individuals challenging my rights in this way.

12. Leigh Youdale

Leigh Youdale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Photographers Rights

You guys really ought to know about this and carry a copy. You can download it here -
    <http://www.photographynsw.org.au/pages/copyright.html>

13. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, OK - Barnaby might trump them all for buffoonery :sad:

Re the rally, I cannot be in Sydney for it, but I do hope it helps get the message across.

Ian

14. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't remember but probably AM or PM.

I'm close to a National Park/World Heritage area but I've not been hassled. However there's a lot of territory to police, maybe I'm lucky.

I do believe that Rex Dupain has a good case, I wrote to the Herald when this was raised a few weeks ago advising him to sell his Hasselblad and his dad's Linhof and buy a phone camera thingy, which the authorities don't seem to mind. I also made the point that a few days earlier the Herald had published a charming photograph from last century of kids in the Argyle Cut, and that the visual social history of this century in Oz was threatened, as anyone attempting a photograph like this was likely to be challenged, by parents or authorities.

I had a bright idea to make photographs of the slightly quirky railway stations in the Blue Mountains and inquired via Cityrail about their attitude to this. Do try it, it will blow your socks off: third party insurance for millions, hire of security guard, financial interest if you publish (offer them 50%, you'll be lucky to sell many copies at all). It turns out to be easier to just ask the guy on duty at the station, they never say no.

However I'm not sure that I want to take up arms for the rights of those making healthy livings from endless colour glossies of Uluru etc. I'll stick with the rights of the owners of those sites.

Regards - Ross