ASA n/a ???

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by thefizz, Jun 23, 2005.

1. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have been looking at the massive development chart on digitaltruth.com and see some film speeds as n/a (not applicable).

Can someone explain how a film speed can not be important when choosing which development time to use.

Regards,
    Peter

2. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It simply means that at a certain film speed the developer will not give good results. Also, I might be that no data on the combination is available.

Regards

Hans

3. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How is one to know which film speed will work or not?
    The chart still gave developing times?

4. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Peter,

Test for yourself and contribute the data if you get acceptable results. It helps to know the properties of the film and developer you want to use.

I was really surprised not to find times for HP5+ @200 in Rodinal 1+50 on the list before. I tried and tested and sent in the result for 135 and 120 format.

G

5. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your views Geert & Hans. I still don't understand why they show a dev time & temperature without any film speed but I agree about testing as some of the info on digitaltruth is a little off.

I hope that's a Leffe beer your having in you profile picture Geert. :tongue:

6. P C Headland

P C Headland Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If there is no speed listed, then I'd assume the times are for the film's "box" speed.

7. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Massive Dev Chart is made up, in part, of user-supplied times. Thus, my guess is that somebody submitted a development time but neglected to mention the film speed.

8. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    BTW, don't forget that development also depends on the method of agitation: by hand (multiple varieties) or in a rotary drum.
    In the best case, the times at Digitaltruth are only a starting point for your personal dev. combo.

It's shaken Rodinal disguised as Leffe :wink:

G

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2005
  9. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just had a look at the dev chart and the films I saw with the NA were infrared and ortho films. Here is a quote from Kodak's web site about their infrared film:

I imagine that because of the limited sensitivity of ortho films, that they present a similar problem for metering, but I am not really sure about that. Otherwise, I didn't find any other instances of the NA being listed for the film speed. There were a few where the film speed was listed as ? and I can only assume that was a case where the info that they received was incomplete but they still deemed it useful.

I hope this helps,

Paul.

10. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Paul, yes it was IR film I was checking but as some times included film speed I thought it strange for some not to. I still think it's pointless providing dev times without film speeds. I have since done a little trial & error and have nailed down a good combination for Maco 820 Aura.

I ended up with dev time of 10 & half minutes in rodinal 1:14 exposing the film at 100ASA and making the necessary exposure adjustments for filters. Next I want to try Rodinal at a more dilute mix.

Peter

11. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

I assume that this means that who ever supplied the dev times did not supply the information. In this case, I usually assume that they rated the film at box speed or try to cross refereence with other published data (or, ask here :smile: ). In anycase, all published dev times should be considered rough starting points which you refine to your own conditions, processing techniques, etc...

12. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes that seems to be the case.

Thanks