ASPH

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Roger Pellegrini, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Roger Pellegrini

Roger Pellegrini Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I am shopiing for a used 35mm and 50 mm Summicron and I have two questions that I am hoping someone can answer.

1. What does ASPH stand for?

2. Are the German made versions measurably better than the Canadian lens, or is it simply snob appeal?

Roger Pellegrini

2. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    ASPH means aspherical. In order words the lens has at least one surface that is neither flat nor does is it representative of a portion of sphere.

As far s I am personally concerned the Canadian lenses are the full equal of the German lenses for all the lenses that are of a particular design and carry the Leica tradename.

3. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Indeed: e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspheric_lens

I only have German made lenses, but I am confident that the Canadian glass is just as good.

4. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would imagine the Canadian and German lenses are about the same on average.

The ASPH lenses are nice. At least the ones I've tried. The 50 ASPH is outstanding.

5. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Leica aspherical lenses are the latest versions and are in many ways the best they, or anyone else, have ever made. The Canadian and German lenses are fully equal in terms of build quality, performance, etc. The collectors seem to prefer the German ones, the users don't care.

Richard Wasserman

6. budrichard

budrichard Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The Leica ASPH lenses are sharper than thier previous counterparts as well as having higher contrast and a more uniform center to edge. They are designed to be offer maximum performance wide open. I have 21, 35 'Lux, 75 and 90 ASPH's and use them all the time. My older counterparts are not used.
    Some like the imagery of the older lenses and 'bokeh'.
    The 50mm Summicron has never been made in an ASPH version and is a superb lens. If you can afford the 35mm 'Lux ASPH, go for it as its one of the best lenses ever made. If not purchase a 35mm Summicron, almost as good as its ASPH counterpart.
    Any of these lenses will take great pictures.-Dick

7. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The later lenses (especially including the ASPHs) *tend* to be better, as well as more expensive.

Since the latest are built in Germany, that is the only reason to prefer German-built ones. Canadian ones are just as good as the German ones of the same generation.

All my "M" glass is Canadian, BTW...

Chris

8. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When Leitz built the Ontario plant,
    it was the finest facility in the world. They also made 'special objectives' for military use.
    The lenses chosen to be produced there (the Mandler Summicrons) were the finest lenses made in their day.

Collectors required that Japanese stuff not be as good as German,
    because Japanese stuff was made by Japanese,
    therefore German HAD to be the best possible,
    and Canadian stuff had to be inferior
    because it wasn't German.

Leitz made the stuff in Canada because it couldn't be made as well in Germany.
    Collectors said Canadian wasn't as good as German.

Collectors therefore had decided they knew more than Leitz.
    This presumption completely freed Collectors from reality.

Too bad Collectors can't make lenses.

AS Leica built new facilities, and phased out the Midland plant,
    and the new designs were built ONLY in the new plants in Germany, the argument is pointless.

But in their day, the Ontario products were the finest of their kind in the world.

Call 'em snobs, call 'em bigots, call 'em fat-headed racists, or just call 'em wrong:
    what 'Collectors' think has never had any connection to what was a good product.
    Collectors' ideology exists only to decide what to collect -- what will give them a little thrill to own and become special by owning it.

Here is a brief outline of Leitz Midland ~ ELCAN.
    http://www.elcan.com/About_ELCAN/ELCAN_History/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2008
  9. Roger Pellegrini

Roger Pellegrini Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    This is good to know since most Canadian made lenses are selling for less on eBay than their German made counterparts.

10. Snapper

Snapper Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I got a Canadian Summicron at a knock-down price of ebay a few years ago. There weren't that many bids on it, and I wondered why. It wasn't until I got the lens that I saw the 'Made in Canada' markings... But it's a superb lens, so I don't care where it was made, and I saved myself a few quid.

11. budrichard

budrichard Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I tested my Candadian second version of the 90mm Summicron against my 90mm ASPH and under 7x magnification, could not tell the difference. The Canadian lens is a beautiful chrome, probably the most physically attractive lens i own. The ASPH version is black, is smaller, weighs less.
    I certainly agree that the Canadian versions are as good as German versions.-Dick

12. Steve Bellayr

Steve Bellayr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    German lenses go for slightly higher prices. Quality is the same. On a used item condition is always paramount.

13. kennethcooke

kennethcooke Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a German 35mm Summicron asph which is superb. I also have a latest edition German 50mm Summicron non Asph also brilliant. Can I tell a difference? I will let you know when I shoot some Kodachrome and project them with my Leica Pradovit 300 + 90mm Colourplan. HP5 negs viewed through my Leica 5 x Loupe do not show discernable difference

14. nicefor88

nicefor88 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I own the 35 asph and the result is extremely good. They are fine details in high keys and low keys compared with non-asph but it's all about details. And sure it depends on the quality your lab supplies. I have one Canada-made 90mm Elmarit and I agree with other members, the Canadian lenses should be as good as the German made.
    However, there was that issue back in the 1980s about Leica cameras made in Canada that were rates as "not equivalent" to Wetzlar-made cameras. Indeed, some M4 and MP cameras assembled in Canada experienced some troubles that had been unknown before. I don't think Canadian workers at the Leica plant had to be blamed but that was a time when Leica tried to cut costs, also in factory operations...
    The same issue was raised when R cameras built in Portugal were said to be below standards. While that criticism might have been over-emphasized, it is quite interesting to note that Leica plants outside Germany were eventually closed down...
    Nikon lenses and cameras Made in Thailand suffer the same bad reputation.Whether this is true or false depends on everyone's own experience with this equipment.
    :rolleyes: