At last summer is over! - Any good books?

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by matti, Oct 7, 2007.

1. matti

matti Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This year I actually thought I should miss the summer when it ended. But now, when it is over, I feel so good about being able to get down in the dark room, take care of the developing back log and engage in some APUG-discussion. (Since I sent of my print exchange prints last week, I don't have to feel too guilty, coming here either.)

To really get going again, I would like some inspiration. For me, that means books! So, can anyone please advice on a couple of books to order from Amazon or an antiquarian?

It can be technical, photo books, maybe a good art book on composition in classical paintings, some photo historical stuff, alt techniques. Actually it can be anything as long as it gives me inspiration the same way I find inspiration in Thorntons Edge of Darkness, Sally Manns Immediate family, Keepers of Light or th book "Bystander" on Street photography.

I already decided to find something by Anders Petersen.

/matti

2. dferrie

dferrie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What, summer is over! It never got started in Ireland :sad:
    As I'm going to live in denial and continue to wait for summer, I can't suggest any books yet.

David

3. Schlapp

Schlapp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    We are having a late summer here - Oh, and the light in winter is better than the summer.

4. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    It still feels like summer here too. I'll be glad when it cools off a bit. I can get out more with the camera. :D My only problem with winter is when we turn on the heat in the house. It makes printing very difficult because the humidity drops to low levels. :sad:

5. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I have a back-log of books to finish myself, but I've not had one lately that I would recommend. :sad:

Summer is alive and well in Texas, too. Still, a couple of us are heading to the Hill Country on Wednesday to brave the "higher than average" temps (it's never average - have you noticed?) and burn some film. All hail air conditioning! :D

6. matti

matti Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What? No other people living at 59°19′ N here? And Lewis doesn't count. I suppose it is 15°C there all year around. (It was when I sailed there in July seven years ago.)

Please, try. Soon I will start to reread BTZS for the third time, and I know I won't really get it this time either. Even though it is good, it's not really that much of an inspiration.

/matti

7. Schlapp

Schlapp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  8. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For general reading on art and the life of artists I find nobody interests me as regularly and as pleasurably as Peter Campbell, who writes essays in the twice-monthly London Review of Books. Many are available for free here (although minus the often interesting illustrations):

http://www.lrb.co.uk/contributors/camp01

If you haven't already got Gerry Johansson's "Sverige" you should rush out and buy a copy as soon as the bookshops open.

9. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    It's been near 90f for days in NYC...we call it Indian Summer over here.

It may be dry for some but I found Beaumont Newhall's "The Daguerreotype in America" fascinating, funny and inspiring. If a 10 year old "operator" could make a perfect $1 dag in Mathew Brady's NYC galleries, I can make a decent cyanotype.

http://www.amazon.com/Daguerreotype-America-Beaumont-Newhall/dp/0486233227

Also "The Poet of Prague" about Josef Sudek. He had one arm and lugged an 8x10 or a huge panoramic camera all over that city and I was moaning about my Mamiya c330f.

http://www.amazon.com/Josef-Sudek-P...8232428?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191877091&sr=1-1

Be well

Victor

10. matti

matti Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are in the middle of the Gulf Stream. You are spared from our horrible -20 C freezing days. OK, you get the darkness, but I bet it is still about 15 C outside in January, isn't it? Some day I will move away from the cold.

/matti

11. matti

matti Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, thank you. I never saw "Sverige" but found some images on the web. Looks interesting! But I can't find it on an online bookstore. So guess I have to actually walk to a bookshop!

I'll check out the lrb-stuff. But for some reason I can not take in online material as well. It feels a bit too much like work...

/matti

12. matti

matti Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you! This is exactly what I had in mind. (My daughter is only six, I wonder if it is OK to let her play with mercury vapors or if I have to wait four years.)

We call it Indian Summer here as well, it's just that we don't have it... maybe I should restart this thread in a month?

/matti

13. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've just got this book called 'Foto-modernity in Central Europe 1918-45'-looks fantastic and covers one of the most exciting eras of photography. Contains work by Sudek, Funke etc and many lesser known but fascinating photographers.Also 'Atget:the pioneer'-looks at a hugely influeuntial photographer and his legacy.You can see why the Surrealists (see also previous book) loved his work.
    Mario Giacomelli-Italy's Bill Brandt (rather a crude generalization but well worth a look).

14. matti

matti Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you. I ordered the Atget-book. I have been thinking of finding something about him. The Foto-modernity in Central Europe 1918-45 wasn't really an easy book to find...

/matti

15. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  16. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Matti-I bought my copy of 'Foto' of Amazon (published by Thames & Hudson).If you like the Atget book then Walker Evans & Company (ed Peter Galassi) is top stuff and a good companion. 'Self Portrait' by lee Friedlander is another fave of mine-classic offbeat stuff (retrospective recently published again edited by Peter Galassi).

17. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Power of Art" by Simon Schama. It discusses a key masterpiece from eight masters (Carvaggio, Bernini, Rembrandt, David, Turner, Van Gogh, Picasso and Rothko). This is the companion book to a PBS series from last year.

Very compelling read about the issues and struggles that great artists go through.

18. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Simon Schama is such a great writer on art-if you work in the landscape then 'Landscape & Memory' should definitely be on your shelves.