At the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC....

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by jovo, Oct 16, 2007.

1. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I read the article, and I absolutely plan on visiting. I saw the French Daguerrotype show they mention in the article, and if the salt print show is anywhere near the quality of that exhibit, this will be a truly awesome experience. I'll try to organize a group field trip from DC to come up and see it - probably in early December. Anyone want to turn it into an APUG outing?

3. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That sounds like another good day trip for me and the girls. Let me know which weekend you choose.

4. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about either the 8th/9th or the 15th/16th weekend?

5. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    the 8th is good. Let's take the train.

6. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'll take the train from New Jersey. Just keep posting the details...

7. htmlguru4242

htmlguru4242 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a great exhibit!

I'll join as well, if people are going; NYC is an easy train ride from where I am.

Keep us posted.

8. htmlguru4242

htmlguru4242 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any updates as to plans for this?

9. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got to corral the folks down here in DC to organize carpool/train/etc, but I think we're going to come on the 8th. I'll send another email out to the group and see who wants to come along.

10. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just saw the exhibit today. It's a big exhibit by MMA photography exhibit standards (they usually give short shrift, despite a huge photography collection).

There is a very wide range of photos of varying quality. Some beautiful, some mundane. But it definitely gives you a wonderful feel for what can be done with salt prints, papaer negs, etc. They have a wonderful warmth and a beautiful softness.

It also gave me a true appreciation various format sizes, knowing that they were all contact prints. Whole plate looks very exciting. Makes me want to get to work on fixing up mine. The (now) ULF formats are also well represented. WOW. Couldn't figure out their exact size, however.

There's also a very nice sliding box camera on display with a contact printing frame that looks like it was used by Torquemada. Interesting. Not a design I would copy.

11. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok- we're going to have at least four of us coming up from DC the weekend of the 8th/9th of December. We'll be carpooling up and back. Figure on hitting the museum around 11am. After that, go grab some lunch, and if the energy levels are up, take in a gallery or two. Anyone in the NYC area who wants to join us, post here or PM me and we can coordinate and make an outing of it!

12. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm going to start "reminding" my wife I have the 8th of December reserved as "Alan" time.

13. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just had a chance to see the show yesterday. The diversity of the images is remarkable, as is the quality of some of the work - by any standards. I really enjoyed it.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    I know it's not photocentric but the Klimpt show up the block from the Met should be amazing. I know the building is spectacular and there IS a really big pinhole photo in the lobby.

http://www.neuegalerie.org/main.html?langkey=english

If I'm in town that weekend I'd love to join you.

Be well
    Victor

16. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm totally down with seeing some Klimt paintings. He's one of my favorites.

17. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess you could say then you'd be verKlimt if you missed it? :D

18. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    Right.

:smile: I'm going to do my best to make it. What a day. RE:The Klimt's: They're HUGE. Not that this makes them great-but no book could ever begin to convey the impact of a gold and jewel encrusted 25+ sq ft 3D work of art.

BTW-Bring the student and senior Id's if you got 'em.Whereas the Met has a 'suggested' admission price, the other Museums are quite expensive and not flexible. Another reason I always loved The National Galleries.

ALSO:THe 8th is the last day of the Czech Vision show at Howard Greenberg Gallery at 57th off of 5th. Looks amazing

http://www.howardgreenberg.com/flash.html

19. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Dang. Too young to be a senior and too old to be in school.
    So how much is the Klimt show? I saw a Botero show (Abu Garab paintings) last year at the Marlboro gallery and it was free. Guess I'm spoiled :smile:

20. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I saw this exhibition yesterday, and found it fascinating. However, one out of the four galleries dedicated to this exhibition was closed with no mention of when it will open, which was a bummer. So, before you make the trip please ensure that all four galleries are open.

I was also tempted to get the catalog (hardcover book) that accompanies this show, but the price kept me away, for the time being at least.

Have fun at the exhibition.

Best wishes,
    Sanjay

21. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sanjay- how much is the catalog, if I may ask? Do they have a less-expensive softcover edition?

22. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The catalog, titled "Impressed By Light: British Photographs from Paper Negatives, 1840–1860", is priced at $75 and is available in hardcover only (members get 10% discount) - if you buy from the Met. However, I found that Amazon.com has it for $47.25. Also, if you buy this book/catalog from the Met along with the book "All the Mighty World: The Photographs of Roger Fenton", they have it for $95.00.

I hope they will have a softcover edition of the catalog sometime in the near future.

Please be sure to call the museum to check that all four galleries are open before you visit. I believe the gallery that was closed yesterday was the one that had photographs from India and Burma, titled "Under an Indian Sky" as per the Met's website. I was really interested in this gallery.

Best wishes,
    Sanjay

23. htmlguru4242

htmlguru4242 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is coming up next weekend :smile:.

I just wanted to check what the specific plans (if any yet) are; I'd like to get my plans in order soon-ish.

24. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It looks like the DC gang is not coming - I've had one party cancel out, and I need to stay in town to work on my grad school applications.

25. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This exhibition is traveling to DC (in Feb?), so maybe you can catch it then....

26. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah. I think we're going to do the outing to see the show when it comes here. If anyone wants to see it and can't catch it in NY, y'all are welcome to come down this way and we'll put out the welcome wagon for you.