ATP [new TechPan]

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by dr5chrome, Feb 12, 2008.

1. dr5chrome

dr5chrome Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    We finally have our new ATP page up on our website for those interested in this TP replacement film by ROLLEI-MACO.

http://www.dr5.com/atp.html

We dont have Negative samples as yet.

Regards
    dw

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Nice. What format are we looking at in those samples?

3. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think by the aspect ratio and grain, it is 35mm.

I'll get a bunch of 120 when it comes out..:smile:

4. dr5chrome

dr5chrome Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ..35mm Dave. Its all we've been given to test.

dw

5. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good news!

6. Jacques D.

Jacques D. Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    From what I know, for the time being, it is available in 35 mm only.

Jacques

7. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just received a test roll from Fotohuis, It came with a rollei developer
    Will shoot it during the month and come back.

8. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Around April/Mai the 120 roll film version is expected. Monday 18.02.2008 I will receive a final production date.

Rollei ATP-V1.1 Tech Pan with the Rollei ATP-DC developer ("made by SPUR") is able to push the sensitivity up from 25-40 iso.
    With a regular document developer (e.g. R.L.C.): iso 10-20, same for Rodinal 1+150 or a type of Caffenol developer which also works as low contrast developer:
    http://creativeimagemaker.co.uk/page_1199734013468.html

And don't forget your contribution on the photo competition for this new analog magazine :D
    http://creativeimagemaker.co.uk/page_1199350711491.html

Best regards,

Robert

9. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Just one more relabeled traffic surveillance film, I guess?

I am in doubt whether these miracle films are really a replacement for Techpan... and I wonder why relabeling this type of mass production films and distending descriptions of their quality justifies exorbitant prices. It seems as if the companies that annoy readers of many forums with bold postings about their products sometimes ask for twice the prices of companies that don't encroach upon forums and publish technical data without burlesque.

You can get this type of film for 4.00 Euros per 135-36 roll - or for 8.50, depending on the label. Pricing for dedicated developers is similar.

11. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A 25 iso traffic surveillance film seems a bit of a stretch today.

Very impressive results though, I'll give it a whirl soon.

12. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As you seem to be informed about the costs and troubleshooting of getting a film and chemistry act the way you want it and the profits involved by selling those products then, I strongly advise you to start your business in that field.

That film is definitely no traffic surveillance film seen the speed and grain structure.

(By the way, I expect a traffic surveillance film to be more delicate to design and manufacture than a portraiture film.)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2008
  13. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    More like a relabelled microfilm for the speed.
    They claim however that this is a specially made film to resemble tech pan in their website

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    DonaldQ recipes are much better than that
    check in the recipe section or look in his http://silent1.home.netcom.com/Photography/Dilutions%20and%20Times.html] WEBSITE for Low Contrast version and other experiments

16. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ATP film is a project from Rollei/Maco together with Agfa Gevaert Belgium, started up two years ago with the purpose to fill the gap for the Tech Pan Kodak film which is already discontinued for some years.

This reformed scientific film was a pretty high investment for both companies especially in contrast with the expected worldwide sales for such a special film. However in another branche of industry this film could be also usefull which is THE ONLY reason the green light for this Tech Pan film in a new production could be made.

Further: What is wrong with a type of T.S.F. for regular use, when it's made on the right layer and specs for pictographical use. Even Ilford is using their SFX 200, which is also a type of T.S.F. Nobody is really complaining about that film and I think we must be greatefull for every manufacturer who wants to invest in a tricky branche of analog photography.
    Because the overall amount of film production is much and much less than 10 years ago it's inevitable that the prices of all material will go up rapidly and I think that overall prices in the USA are even very low in comparision of other parts in the world.

best regards,

Robert

17. Martin Reed

Martin Reed Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak Technical Pan was employed for pictorial photography as a secondary purpose, being originally designed for, quote,

Microphotography (Microfilming)
    Photographing Electrophoretic Gels
    Photomicrography
    Electron Micrography
    Astronomical Photography
    Laser Photography

& if it hadn't been used in large quantities for those purposes it would never have been available for pictorial work anyway. So what's the problem with adapting the usage of materials?

18. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    NOTHING, so far the specs and use of it is very clear for the end user.

19. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Maybe it is the right time to propose that we call this thread a Maco/Rollei/Fotohuis ADVERTISING?

20. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No thanks, I have already some advertisements.

21. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Well, and why do you together with "Agx" (probably a Maco employee) flood this forum. Photo.net and others with your marketing stories? These are discussion forums, not space for free advertising. I find this very annoying.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

22. Film Enthusiast

Film Enthusiast Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No Robert, the prices don't have to go up rapidly in the future. There are much more variables determing the prices. Economy of scales is not a linear thing and much more complex. Kodak and Fuji films (afaik Foma films as well) are today as cheap as they have never been before (if you consider inflation).
    And that despite the digital boom. The film manufacturers are restructuring their production and have successfully invested in cost reduction technologies.
    And in some markets film sales have already stabilised, especially SW film sales.

Regards,
    Michael

23. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Right. And talking about modern high resolution films: one of the sponsors of this forum, Adox, offers the ADOX CMS 20 at very reasonable prices, too.

24. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In that case I suppose you send a PM to Sean, the chief and moderator of the APUG and discuss these things off line.
    If you do not like Ilford film, or Kodak film or Fuji, or Rollei or Foma or Efke or Slavich or whatever, I do not care but I feel free to inform everybody about new available products on every woldwide forum, supported with or without paid advertisement in a reasonable way to keep on going with my own hobby. If you like it or not that's your problem. But as already mentioned I 'll keep this discussions further off-line. :smile:

About pricing: Both Fuji and Foma raised their prices with 6% average worldwide for this year. But it sometimes takes some time till it is effective around the shops. On the other hand very logical due to the fact the raw material prices and energy prices made a significant step upwards last months.
    Same for the Agfa A&O chemicals. Expected price hip for the comming months: 10-15% for the Rodinal 500ml worldwide, due to the fact A&O sold their B&W plant in Vaihingen-Enz (Germany) because the rentability of the B&W chemicals is rather low.
    All manufacturers worldwide have decreasing amounts of products, less profit a.s.o. in this market. Very tuff and difficult.

25. Lotus M50

Lotus M50 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

I wonder how this new film compares with the ADOX CMS 20

26. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Well, I do not dislike Maco/Rollei's films but marketing methods that can best be described as 'stowaway campaigns'.

If you want to inform about your products you can send press releases or pay for ads instead of absorbing forums for your purposes.

As you place your 'free ads' in public we can also talk about this in public, no problem for me.