Attaching spikes to carbon fiber tripod?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by wildbill, Sep 10, 2006.

1. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why gitzo skipped the spiked feet feature i don't know. Maybe they figured with global warming they're wouldn't be any ice in northern Michigan for their tripods to slip on.

$100 for the Markins add-on spikes for my Gitzo 1325 is outragous considering the price i paid for it. I've been using crutch tips slipped over the legs with 3/16 bolts as spikes but that's not 100% rigid. Has anyone drilled and tapped the feet and added their own spikes? Any other ideas?
    AFAIK gitzo doesn't sell add-on feet for the 1325.

vinny

2. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too wish my Gitzos had spiked feet. While the Markins ones might help on ice, I'd prefer bigger, surveyor style leg spikes. In fact I use a surveyor tripod when out in the muck. These are wide diameter spikes about 4 inches long. When you sink these in the turf, your tripod become very secure and well damped. (At one time I had a Zone VI tripod which had great spiked feet, but it was heavy as sin.) In any case, I've been contemplating clamping similar spikes to the bottom of my Gitzo. I may simply steal the spikes from my surveyor tripod, or perhaps I'll fashion something. I need to some up with a way that allows the spikes to easily and securely attach to the bottom of the tripod tubes. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

4. OP
    wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

Being a wood worker also, I work with what I know.

1" inch dowel with a spike driven ( predrill ) in the end. Bore the other to accept the leg just barely. now slit the top with a back saw so it can be compressed around the leg with a small hose clamp. Do not over tighten as you might crush the tube.

If they tend to slip off when pulling out of the ground, bore the hole a little larger and wrap the bottom of the leg with gaffer tape to provide some friction.

6. swilf

swilf Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Spikes for tripods with rubber feet

The thread seems to be old, but anyway. There is a way of modifying such tripods, you'll need brass plumbing fittings and microphone bushings. The result looks like this:
    [​IMG]

The process is quite simple, details are here:
    http://staswilf.com/blog/2013/06/10/modding-of-gitzo-1325/

7. OP
    wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It IS old but i would like to know the specifics of what you used.

8. swilf

swilf Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Feel free to ask.
    There is some controversy about the bushings. The image on B&H website differs from the item itself. Suppose that their image is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013