Australian Pano's - Stanthorpe, Armidale, Melbourne

Discussion in 'Landscape' started by TwinII, Jun 29, 2014.

1. TwinII

TwinII Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I recently got 9 rolls of film back from the lab and have been busily scanning them. Here are some panos taken on my Fuji G617 and Velvia film from various locations I have visited in the last two months. I went in search of autumn colours around Easter to Stanthorpe and Armidale and I went to Melbourne for a conference for work at the end of May.

[​IMG]Yarra Sheds by Martin Canning, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day turns into night by Martin Canning, on Flickr

[​IMG]Flinders Street Station by Martin Canning, on Flickr

[​IMG]Mourning Morning by Martin Canning, on Flickr

[​IMG]Melbourne City Dawn by Martin Canning, on Flickr

[​IMG]Abandoned Ebor by Martin Canning, on Flickr

[​IMG]Melbourne Laneway by Martin Canning, on Flickr

[​IMG]Fallen by Martin Canning, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

C&C welcome!

Martin

2. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I especially like "Mourning Morning".
    Must be fun to use this camera. Nice panorama images!
    Bert from Holland

3. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mourning Morning is a treat to look at because of its charming evocation of loss and the promise of renewal.
    Looks like DeGraves Street in the laneway shot, a scene I have viewed in another pano photographer's folio (Erwin Groen).
    All the pics are well exposed — something I don't see often in pano photography where e.g. Velvia 100 is often preferred and exposure is guessed.
    This Velvia looks a bit pinkish in base tone to me. Were you using a Skylight 1B filter?

4. TwinII

TwinII Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Thanks for the comments. I used Velvia 50 for most of these except 4 and 8 which I used Velvia100 and 3 and 7 I used Velvia 100F. I think the Velvia 50 is quite blue/purple and the Velvia100F makes blues look purple and exagerates yellows (in my limited experience). I will check out Erwin Groen's pic of Degraves street.

5. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are doing very well both with composition and the management of exposure with three of the most difficult films to work with, the Velvias: shadows, highlights, colour...everything is there. I personally threw out a box of Velvia 100F last November as I couldn't stand for one minute longer the silly colour palette (the yellow-mustard channel is especially irksome) and the difficulty in scanning correctly.

Yep, DeGraves Street (among other nooks) is the place to be, but it's a hellhole when there is a cold winter wind whistling along there. No better if you add rain and poor light! Will be there tomorrow for lunch with family and friends. Maybe I'll take my street-chic Olympus XA... :smile:

6. spatz

spatz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wonderful pano's. For some reason I quite like day turns into night. Very calm and almost desolate.

But Gary, throwing out film is perhaps one of the strangest ways Ive heard of to support film manufacturers. :munch:

7. TwinII

TwinII Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Yeah I agree. The only reason why I have 100F is because I got given some expired stock when I bought the camera. The only reason why I used it on the morning I did was because it was pretty rubbish conditions and I didnt want to waste a roll of Velvia 50! Having said that Im happy with the results!