Autofocus problem with Nikon N90s

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Kennedy, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My new-to-me N90s was acting poorly in AF mode.Wouldn't lock on target and seemed to be having an electrical issue.Did a search on the web and found that dirty camera contacts may be the root of the problem.Cleaned both camera and my AF lenses with a wee bit of ethanol on a Q-tip and the AF is now working.
    A further search turned up a product named "DeoxIT" that does a superior job of cleaning electrical contacts.Does anyone know of a good source for this product?I'm thinking local because it would be cheaper as my photography budget has been negated by the need for a roof replacement on the house.Ugh!!

2. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an F80, I got fed up with missing some shots because the focus would 'hunt'. So I switched off the AF and now focus manually.

3. dsullivan

dsullivan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The contacts are gold plated so alcohol such as IPA or ethanol should be as good as anything else, as they're in a fairly "clean" environment in the camera/under the cap I doubt you'll even need to clean them again.

David

4. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No! Don't waste a good India Pale Ale on cleaning contacts. :smile:

(Funny that that was the first thing I thought of with that - the second thought, isopropyl alcohol, will work quite well for this application :smile:.

Jim