Auxiliary rangefinders

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Ipno Tizer, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Ipno Tizer

Ipno Tizer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi All.

I've just bought an auxilliary rangefinder to use with my Altix-n.

I can get it accurate at 3 feet, but then it will be a foot out at 8 feet and five feet out at twenty feet.

So are these things worth the money you pay for them? And are there any reasonably affordable alternatives?

Chris B.

2. Ipno Tizer

Ipno Tizer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I forgot to say that it's a Medis.

3. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When you adjust it, you should set it up for infinity - which is anything much over sixty feet - do not try to adjust it for close distances. To set infinity, choose a strong vertical a long way off and set it on that. It should then be ok for all other distances. My Medis rangefinder is certainly ok for for its entire range. There is not really a lot to go wrong with them apart from significant physical damage.

4. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As to being worth the money you pay for them goes, I find guessing works fine for landscapes and a maximum aperture of f8.

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually you need to fudge the adjustment so it's closer in the mid range and slightly out a 3ft. It's a balance and while I agree with Peltigera that it's rasy to guess but for more ctritical work they are useful.

I have a few rangefinders, some remarkably accurate others require new mirrors (which I need to cut) and alignment, most cost around £1. I just paid 99p for a Kodak close focus rangefinder which comes with it's own close up lenses.

Ian

6. Ipno Tizer

Ipno Tizer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So where do I need to go to find them at this price? I got mine on e-bay where most of them are £10 or more.

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 99p one came from ebay, others from Camera fairs. I am prepared to restore some items, and have beam spltter glass (half silvered) and will get some front surface mirror when I order two new SLR (Quarter plate and 6x9 pre WWII camera) mirrors.

I've been asked to restore early Leica rangefinders but need experience first :D

Ian

8. Ipno Tizer

Ipno Tizer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So are these items reasonable easy to fix, then? If so I might have a go.

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depends, some are much easier than others, I've been doing quite a number of repairs and it's no real loss if I can't fix a £1 item. I've larger rangefinders on Speed/Crown Graphics that will be an easier start.

Ian

10. Ipno Tizer

Ipno Tizer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I get a bust one just for a look inside. If I can't fix it, then so what.

11. 250swb

250swb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Medis rangefinder and yes it can be way out over the full range of distances depending on how you set it up. For instance mine goes from 20ft to infinity almost immediately(if set up 'by the book'), a massive jump. Some rangefinders are better, Voigtlander, or Wattameter in my experience. But if you set the rangfinder up so it is accurate in the near to middle distance then the rest should be common sense if it starts to look fishy at longer distances, and DOF will often cover the inaccuracy.

Steve

12. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a Widor with adjustable horizontal and vertical alignment, and it's accurate at all distances. For the close distance, I set the rangefinder and the lens at 3 feet and move my head back and forth while looking through the rangefinder until it's in focus.

13. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an accessory Voiglander rangefinder that lives with my father's old Vito B. They are both scaled in feet. It comes in handy between say 15 and 3 feet where DoF won't save you.