Availability of 11x14" films - where ? next Ilford ULF run?

Discussion in 'Ultra Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by nick mulder, Feb 10, 2009.

1. nick mulder

nick mulder Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hello,

I am keen to get 100 or so sheets of 11x14" film for my new camera (8x10 Sinar P conversion). I'd like to keep with what I have been successful with thus far in 8x10 which is both Ilford FP4 and the cheaper Arista Ultra EDU 200.

I have found HP5 on the net and also Efke - I print in platinum and would prefer to steer clear of the HP5, what characteristic does the Efke have in Pyro ? or a higher contrast development with something like D19 ?

Either that, or where do ULF shooters get their film from ?

I found it listed here, but it doesn't appear to be for sale...

When does the next Ilford ULF run go ahead ?

Really want to get this camera working :wink:

Nick

2. Brickbird

Brickbird Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Nick...Go to the View Camera Store who is one of the sponsers. Owned by Fred Newman and he usually has FP4+ in stock. He is in Arizona. Also you might try Freestyle in California. They carry Efke and it is usually in stock.

3. nick mulder

nick mulder Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    thanks,

the view camera store didn't come up in google searches

I've emailed them - interested in trying the Efke regardless - we'll see :wink:

4. Rob Vinnedge

Rob Vinnedge Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Check with William at Glazer's, too. It's possible they have FP4, but also an order in for T Max 400.

5. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Nick, I just shot some Efke 25 in 11x14. It is only one sheet from a recent trip to Joshua Tree NP. here in California. It was very blustery the whole time I was there and only exposed one sheet. I always develop in Pyrocat-HD and use the 2:2:100 dilution and develop one at a time in trays. I will have to check my notes and I will post the times/temp later after I develop the sheet tonight.
    I have used the FP4+ and it is great in 11x14. The Efke 25, 100 is in stock at Freestyle.

Jim

6. nick mulder

nick mulder Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    View Camera Store and Glazers out of stock ...

TMY out of stock in 11x14"

Might try the Efke from Freestyle - I have Pyro PMK here (and HC110, D19, D76 and Rollei HS developers) - worth a crack huh :wink:

7. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Nick, I love the 8x10 negatives that I get with the Efke 25 in Pyro.

Jim

8. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Nick, just finished the Efke PL-25 negative. I developed for 9 minutes in Pyrocat-HD. 5 minute presoak, 30 seconds agitation, then 5 seconds of agitation every 30 seconds, water stop, 4 minute fix. Developed in a tray. The negative is a plus 1 negative that I will print in carbon. It is great to see an 11x14 ISO 25 negative! I did shoot it at box speed. I have found this to be the best with my developer and printing process.

9. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wish the Arista.EDU Ultra was available in 200 in 11x14, but they only make the 100 speed. As that's one of the less-expensive options for the format, short of APHS, it's what I've used. Soup it in Pyrocat HD, 1:1:100

10. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I think one of the last times I was in Freestyle they said that the 11x14 Arista was discontinued. The Efke that I just processed is real nice. They have it in 25 and 100.

Jim

12. Rick Olson

Rick Olson Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  13. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Didn't Freestyle stop carrying Arista.Edu 100 in 11x14? I'll have a look, the next time that I'm on the Freestyle website—and I go there for drooling activities pretty much every day or two. :smile:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. nick mulder

nick mulder Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    thanks all -

have emailed both fotoimpex and mpex (similar names huh)

we'll see - I'm pretty keen for the Efke as the price is good, that being said for whatever reason my FP4 negs come out better for Pd in side by side comparisons in all developers I have used, seems like with and adequately long time in the soup it just gives up and goes 'oh, ok then have a damn fine neg then' - others always persist in being comparably thin in detail and/or high base fog.

I'm not as scientific with as I know some here are - certainly more than my mates: "fb+f" WTF ?!? - heh heh, perhaps the extra expense of ULF will get me into it a bit more :D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009
  16. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The combined optical density of film base plus fog.

17. nick mulder

nick mulder Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    heh heh - I could have made that clearer, aside from one individual I meant my other mates who do a bit of film photography, they have no idea what it means :smile:

18. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Nick, I would say to try the Efke PL 100 first. You can extend development and it handles it very well. I have had good success with both the 25 and the 100. You do have to be careful in handling the film. I have not scratched any yet. The Pyro helps I think.

Jim

19. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Nick,

Last Ilford run when all the dealers were out of stock they could still get LF and ULF film from the distributor. You might call Denis or Fred at the VC store and ask specifically if they have tried or would try their Ilford distributor. I can't remember the distributor's name. When they all have stock I think you will find the VC store has the best price and good service. Tel: 480-767-7105-Denis Mon-Friday open 11:00 AM eastern time.

The second thought would be to post a "wtb" here and in the LF Forum. If you are not a member there you need to sign up and wait 30 days to post ads. Much of the 7x17 film I use has come out dated from other people’s freezers at a reduced price but in excellent working condition.

John Powers

20. Rob Skeoch

Rob Skeoch Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Just so you know 11x14 isn't part of the ULF run... it never was... it's the largest size that is always available... similar to 8x10.
    If the dealer is out of stock... or doesn't stock the item, they should still be able to order it with their regular Ilford order.
    -Rob

21. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought that 11x14 fp4+ was part of the ULF run, and that hp5+ was a regular stock item?

22. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's not correct. Until 2008, 11x14 HP5 Plus was stock, but FP4 Plus wasn't, and had to be ordered through the annual "ULF" program. Starting in 2008, both emulsions became available only through the annual program. See page 3 of this document:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/200866151713767.pdf

However, some distributors in some countries may order extra film during the annual program, or may have had HP5 Plus left over from when it was a stock item. In those cases, the 11x14 film would continue to be available to dealers unless/until the distributor runs out.

23. Don12x20

Don12x20 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
  24. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Nick, the OP, said "I print in platinum and would prefer to steer clear of the HP5."

Nick, if you don't mind answering, why do you not like HP5 and do like FP4? I print silver and don't know what may be wrong with HP5 for you. I know there was a UV filter problem with T Max 100 and not 400. What is the problem with HP5?

Thanks,

John Powers

25. Morry Katz

Morry Katz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    LF film

You might try bigcameraworkshops.com. They sell film for l.f. cameras as well as l.f. cameras, lenses. etc.

Morry Katz
    Lethbridge

26. Glazer's Camera

Glazer's Camera Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    11x14 HP5+

We have 3 boxes of 11x14 HP5+ in our freezers right now. Call if you want to order it.

thanks,

William
    Glazer's Camera