Availability of 8x10 fiber paper in Europe

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by loman, May 18, 2008.

1. loman

loman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi All
    I was just wondering how easy it is to get 8x10 paper in europe. The only one I've come across is adox fine print polywarmtone, sold from photoimpex, and they've stopped making that paper! All else I've seen is 18x24 cm. Now, the reason I'm asking is that I have some 8x10 negs I want to print, but my darkroom doesn't have room for lager sized papers than 8x10. If I used 18x24 cm the image would be cropped, and I don't want that.
    So where do I get 8x10 baryt paper in europe?

Best Regards
    Mads

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Silverprint, London, look under the list of Sponsors

But isn't 20.3 x 25.4 actually 10x8 :D

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2008
  3. Justin Cormack

Justin Cormack Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The UK may be your best bet - 8x10 is the most common size, 18x24 is not usually available. Or an Ilford dealer should be able to order some. Most places should ship to Denmark (I am sure Silverprint do).

4. edz

edz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In Europe you can't get 8x10" paper since the laws demand that paper be sold using nominal cm measures (we're on the metric system after all). Ask for 20x25cm paper (and you'll get want you want) :smile:

Example: ILFORD Multigrade FB 20x25

http://www.nordfoto.de/cgi-bin/nfvshop/iboshop.cgi?show50101,536298808455533

5. loman

loman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Great, Thanks!
    I don't have the money for their minimum order (100 pounds)
    I looked at retrophotographic too, but their shipping charges to Denmark are quite high (25 pounds)
    Do foma papers exist as 8x10?
    Best Regards
    Mads

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2008
  6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe someone in the UK could make the purchase for you, and post it on. I'm not back in the UK until early June, and I will be placing a Silverprint order. PM me if you can wait.

I was approached by an APUG member in the US about 18 months ago who wanted something small and was hit by the minimum overeas order requirements of another supplier, I think in his cases the postage was about $2.50/£1.25, when I sent it, the suppliers minimum to the US was $32/£16.

Ian

7. haris

haris Guest

Loman, I think you did not understand Ian's and Edward's posts. 8x10 paper IS in fact 20x25cm paper. So, in USA you buy 8x10 paper, in Europe you buy 20x25cm paper, and in both cases you will buy THE SAME paper.

So, if you buy in Europe (and I can see you are in Denmark, so... :smile:), buy 20x25cm paper, and you will have no problems, that is when you buying make your order in metric system, not in imperial system. Atleast I don't have any problems, I recently bought Ilford FB papers, both neutral and warmtone, in 20x25cm size, and that size is easily available in Europe as far as I know.

By the way, paper we call "20x25cm" has actuall (real) size 20.3x25.4 cm (if you take maesuring tool and measure paper size you will see that), and that IS 8x10 inch size (1 inch = 2.54cm), so in reality 8x10 inch is 20.32x25.40 cm :smile:

I am buying Ilford stuff for years from Fomei, Czech Republic, and have no problems.

8. Erik Hartmann

Erik Hartmann Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  9. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a European thing...

Mads,

I have the same problem as you here in France. Although 8x10 is 20x25cm, most photography stores do not carry that size (only 18x24), although they have 5x7, 9x12, 11x14 -- all the other sizes, just not 8x10. I've had to buy all my paper from the UK (thank you Silverprint!!) in order to get that size (Germany is another option). I'm not doing 8x10 contact prints, but I find the 18x24 a little too small for my tastes, and definitely too small for my contact sheets. Everyone in my photography class has remarked on the size of my paper, since they've never seen it in those dimensions before. My teacher thinks it's an 'English' thing and blames them (this means English-speaking people) for all the weird sizes we have to deal with in papers.

rachelle

10. haris

haris Guest

Other option is to buy 18x24cm film holders for 8x10 camera and in future to use 18x24cm film and same sized paper if 8x10 paper is so hard to get... :smile:

11. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or buy bigger paper and cut it down.

12. loman

loman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ian
    Thanks for the offer. Yes I can definately wait.

Harris
    I didn't misunderstood anything. I'm perfectly aware of the fact, that 8x10 is 20x25, (actually 20,3x25,3) I just never thought that europeans would write it that way. Also I've already been doing 18x24 for the exact reason you mention, but I want to do 8x10.
    Nick
    you're right, this is probably the easiest way to get what I want, and I can always use the excess paper for contact strips (Even though I never work with them!)
    Hi Dad.
    Thanks for the link, Hadn't thought about it!!!

Thanks all
    Best Regards
    Mads

13. haris

haris Guest

Mads, I am very sorry for mine wrong assuming.

Regards

14. loman

loman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Harris.
    No problem. Maybe my post wasn't very clear?
    Best Regards
    Mads Hartmann

15. payral

payral Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    if you look at Fotoimpex catalog in Deutchland you will see that some 8x10" paper is available in different brands.

http://www.fotoimpex.de/

16. payral

payral Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  17. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

We obviously ship 20.3 x 25.4 of all products Worldwide, it is the single biggest selling size : We make this availalble to all distributors ( we do not discriminate against any country who places an order ! ) it is just in Europe 17.8 x 25.4 is more popular :

Ask your reseller to order from our distributor these products and they will be forthcoming, our Euro distributors usually receive one shipment per week:

Regards

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

18. markbb

markbb Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you ask for 10"x8" fibre paper you will find most decent stockists will carry a range of papers.