availability of books to Aus from Amazon and others

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by ace_one_tas, Aug 28, 2010.

1. ace_one_tas

ace_one_tas Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Is there something wrong with my Amazon requests for books recommended in APUG fora? I've tried multiple times to get Tony Worobiec's Beyond Monochrome - to no avail. I've tried today to get Darkroom 1 & 2 by Wynne Bullock and Jane Kelly - won't ship to Tasmania or Australia. Ditto for Michael Martone's Dark Light?
    Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?
    Alternatively, can anyone suggest an Australian bookseller with any of these books available?

2. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It seems that these books are only available through other sellers, *not* Amazon (out of print?), and they determine themselves if they wish to ship internationally. There are a couple of sellers who state they'll ship internationally (New or Used) - if Tassie and/or Australia aren't coming up, you could drop them a line and ask why.

I've had success asking about certain books, even when they haven't listed international shipping, so you haven't got anything to lose.

3. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  4. samcomet

samcomet Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've had to resort to using relatives and friends in Canada & US to trans ship to Oz. Doesn't help if you don't know anybody there though.......just a thought.

5. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bugger Amazon, try Book Depository;

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/

The first of your wanted books is certainly available there, the others may be difficult to find new anywhere, but there are tips for secondhand copies.

NO POSTAGE CHARGES! They have been swift and on the ball for my first purchases. I saw a book in the Museum of Contemporary Art in Sydney for AUD 160, Book Depository's price was AUD 78.

Regards - Ross

6. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For second hand I use abebooks
    For new I search via booko
    Booko will search all online sellers & display the results in AUD including postage so it's easy to find the best price. Very often Book Depository turns out to be the cheapest but there are instances where Amazon is cheaper including postage.
    I've been buying a lot of new & second hand books recently. There was a Jeanloup Sieff book published by Taschen in a local shop for $40. I got it for $15 incl postage from Book Depository.

7. raoul

raoul Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Friend of a friend set up this site: booko.com.au

Go!

8. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sometimes it's easier to order a book directly from the publisher. For example, Focal Press (a division of Elsevier) has an Australian office, and I understand they'll sell directly to end customers. So, if the book you're looking for is a Focal Press publication contact:

http://www.elsevier.com.au/static.asp?code=CORP_contact us

9. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another source for searching is www.bookfinder.com, which shows hits from Abe as well as other sources. It and Abe will usually give you many more sources for a given title than Amazon. The dealers listed by Bookfinder and Abe are mostly in the U.S. but booksellers anywhere are able to and do participate, and it should help you find some in Oz. Or, at worst, dealers who are willing to ship there.

10. ace_one_tas

ace_one_tas Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. Phew! There is hope - to get new/secondhand photographic "bibles" to my end of the earth :wink: I'll let you know the results.

11. ace_one_tas

ace_one_tas Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Book Depository is looking like a winner for Tony Worobiec's book. Thank you, Ross.

Abe Books is looking like a winner for Michael Martone's book. Thank you, Michael.

Ralph - I'm excited by the look of your Way Beyond Monochrome. but, saddened because edition 1 hadn't caught my eye or attention before now. That's rectified now. Bring on 21 Sept 2010!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2010