Available Strobes with Round Reflector?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by waynecrider, Nov 11, 2012.

1. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm looking for the above to use with a Yashica TLR. I like the look of the smaller bulb models but in a strobe. Can anyone suggest a particular one that I can look up. Is it possible to convert a bulb model?

2. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Quantum Qflash has round reflector. Doesn't quite look like a bulb unit.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thought of it but it's too pricey.

I may have to go with a normal handle mount.

5. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're patient, there was someone out there who converted Vivitar 283/285 strobes to take a bare-bulb flash tube with an optional bayonet-on circular dish reflector. I forget what they were called, but I remember seeing them advertised in Shutterbug for several years back in the 1990s. I think Norman and/or Dynalite also make/made portable flash units that have a similar flash head.

6. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, Norman 200B's and 400B's had a bare bulb with the option of a round reflector or mounting of a slip on speed ring to mount a soft box or similar modifier. The Normans were a high end pack and head unit ( I have one old 200B that I restored).

So even many years old they may not come cheap.

Why not consider the possibilty of masking off the edges of the 35mm form factor reflector, or just add a diffuser and live with the stiop or more of brightness loss.

7. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for reminding me of the Norman's guys. I'll also watch the "E" and see if there are any converted Vivitar's going thru.

8. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I like the idea. I think it might be cool to have something like the Norman 200B bulb, but fit entire flash electronics from another much less powerful unit into the case.

I don't need f/11 at EI 100. Just a tiny bit of illumination to fill the shadows.

So it seems a miniature flash could be taken out of anything and put into an old flashbulb reflector.

(If it can be done safely).

9. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did a quick check on the auction site and saw several Vivitar 283 conversions. There was a professionally done conversion that looked as well-made as a Quantum, and was priced similarly. Then there were a pair of rather amateur-looking conversions selling for about $150 each. They looked a little klugey, and I'd be worried about their durability and safety long-term. But they exist as an option. A final thought - just get a Gary Fong light modifier with a chromed interior. Or take a quart-size plastic takeaway soup container, spray-paint the inside silver, and cut a hole in the bottom for the flash to go through.

10. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yeah saw those two. That professional unit looked pretty big, maybe bigger them my Yashica 120G.

I could always go with a Sunpak 120J but I am kinda leaning towards putting something together. Like Bill I just need something small, basically for closer portraits. I've seen reflectors for sale and I have some small flashes. Any electronics experts around?

11. snederhiser

snederhiser Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    Look at the early Graflite strobes, made by Heiland/Honeywell. The first Heiland/Honeywell strobes were considered the standard for TLR's and used by the press before the shift into 35mm. Steven.

12. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I have an early Strobonar by Honeywell sitting on the shelf on display. Kind of an oval reflector. Guide number 80 in feet at iso 100 I reacll. It used sub c cells - 4 of them. I have not been motivated to hunt down the new cells it needs, and I am also missing the chahrger cord.

If all of my too many other flashes all died at once, I might fit this with aa NiMH's to see if it still would fire, after a good long soak on power withiut flashing to recondition the electrolytic capacitior.

13. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The old Norman portable units aren't so expensive, but if you have to upgrade to a new SuperBattery and charger that works with it, it can be, though it is a better battery than the old ones. There are people who re-cell the old batteries as well. A 200C is newer, lighter and smaller than a 200B with the same output. The 400B is the same size as a 200B with double the output, and I think it's heavier.

That's a 200B pack on my shoulder and a large tele-reflector on the flash head. The normal reflector is 5-inches in diameter. I've since replaced the 200B with a 200C. That paper on the reflector is a table I made for converting distance (readable from the focus scale on the lens) to aperture at three different power settings (200/100/50 W-s)--

[​IMG]

14. Nokton48

Nokton48 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have two Norman 200B's that I had tuned up at New York Flash Clinic. And I have an Armatar 283 Flash that takes Norman Reflectors and flashtubes and works great. Stroboframe makes a good 2 1/4 Bracket that works with the 283.

The Honeywell 700 Hammer-Handle strobe is one that I used to use with the Yashicamat 124G for press work back in the 70's. Honeywell made a special TLR bracket that fit the 124G perfectly. Mine wasn't auto exposure, but they made many different versions and that was certainly an option.