AWB wind stabilizer: solid or hollow rods?

Discussion in 'Ultra Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Markus Albertz, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Markus Albertz

Markus Albertz Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hello ULFs,

Quick question for owners of the AWB wind stabilizer: are the aluminum rods solid or hollow? I consider getting something similar made in a local machine shop.

Thanks, Markus

2. JG Motamedi

JG Motamedi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    They are solid aluminum rods.

3. Steve Hamley

Steve Hamley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Solid.

Steve

4. jonw

jonw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am planning to purchase Alan Brubaker's ABW Wind Stabilizer Kit to improve the stability of my 11x14 Rochester Improved Empire State Camera, of those who use or have used this system, do you recommend it? Any other options recommended for ULF cameras? Thanks. Jon

5. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It works for me. I use it almost all the time.

6. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are making your own, consider hollow Al alloy tube (this is what Sinar used on their Norma stabilisation kits). You can get it from metal stockists, find some discarded tent poles, or visit any ski area in the summertime and pick up the endless lost ski poles. Alternatively, there are some very nice carbon fiber spars sold for kite making or as fishing rod blanks. They won't like being clamped in the middle in an adjustable-length solution, but if you want to make a triangular support for the front standard that is anchored to the baseplate they'll work well.

7. Scott Peters

Scott Peters Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Or an arrow and a hunting shop...

8. jonw

jonw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the positive feedback and alternative suggestions. I decided to order the AWB wind stabilizer system from Alan and a couple dozen of his film sheet holder pins. I figured with ULF and at a cost of several $s for each shot of film, it was best to get the most versatile system which would provide the best stability.

Jon

9. michael9793

michael9793 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I hope you get it this year. I had to wait 3 months to get mine because he had to make film holders first. I just got it two weeks ago. Looks good just haven't put it on my 8x20 yet.

mike a

PS
    Time doesn't seem to be a concern with him. I ordered my 8x20 holders from someone else because he didn't get back to me. That was $2000 of holders he lost out on.

10. jonw

jonw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I can't speak to the particular experiences referenced by Michael9793. I do believe AWB Enterprises is a small business and I definitely do what I can to support small businesses. I have one of my own. :smile:
    I can also confirm that I received prompt responses to all of my emails to Alan at AWB Enterprises before I ordered anything, I sent him my check last Sunday, and today (5 days later), I received all of the items I purchased including his Wind Stabilizer Kit. I have received excellent service and superior quality products. I will not hesitate to purchase from Alan (AWB Enterprises) in the future. Best wishes, Jon

11. michael9793

michael9793 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Jon,
    good timing, if you had done it 4 weeks earlier this would not have been the case. He was making 50 I believe 8x20 film holders for some one over seas and I had to wait for him to finish that first so he could make my stabilizer, which means I would think he made more than one set and had it finished by the time you ordered. I have installed my wind stabilizer and the following is my assessment.
    1) all parts are of top quality
    2) had no problem installing the permanent parts.
    3) at max extension my 8x20 is very rigid, making the stabilizer worth getting.
    4) every one says it take forever to put together. It does take about 5 mins to put on the camera, but if you are using a ULF cameras, don't think you are going to get a fast shot. Plus if you are going to continue to shot, then just take off the bar and leave the rest till you are done.

Alan makes a great product but I didn't like the fact that Fred Newman had to say he was sorry several time because of the wait. NOT GOOD BUSINESS!!

Mike

12. John Snyder

John Snyder Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The AWB WSK is one of those things that I feel happy about when I look at it and see it in place on the camera. I'm using it with a Korona 12X20 and it helps--along with other modifications I've made-- to bring an old camera into the realm of a stable, modern device. The WSK is precisely machined of aircraft aluminum, fits together and comes apart easily, doesn't weigh much and takes up very little room in its carry pouch. I just leave the mounting brackets on my camera all the time (I have a set on my 8X10 as well) so all I have to do is slide the rod in and tighten the thumb screws after I get the camera focused. The only problem I've had is remembering to loosen the screws on the rod before adjusting focus or taking down the camera--just a habit that's not firmly in place yet, nothing to do with the product itself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007