B&J 8X10 improvements

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by noseoil, Jun 29, 2005.

1. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here are a couple of shots of mods to the 8x10 B&J beast. Lens shade was made from an old enlarger bellows. 4x5 reducing back made from an old Graflok back. Lens board for the 300mm symmar-s. Lens boards made out of mesquite wood. Jim Galli's 240mm G-Claron, mounted in an adaptor board for 4x5 or 8x10. tim

2. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good job. The lens boards are beautiful!

3. BradS

BradS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Nice. What did you use for the base of the 4x5 reducing back? Is it built up out of sticks or plywood or...????

4. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm interested in that too. The Seattle guys are working on my 8x10 next week (Hi schwin) and I need to McGuyver a 4x5 back. Maybe I can get clever and somehow use a 6x12 on the same board somehow.

5. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The base was "borrowed" from the back that came with with the camera originally. It shipped without an 8x10 back, but I found one from someone who had chopped up an 8x10 to change formats. It is a solid maple or birch B&J back (battleship gray) which had a rather strange sliding barn door polaroid-ground glass invention attached, which could be used for proofing. I didn't need it, but decided that the original back could work with a 4x5 back in place. Made a spacer out of 1/2" material to reduce the opening size and mount the Graflok back in place. Only problem I have is that to go from 8x10 down to 4x5 requires a little focusing due to the difference in set-back, not a major inconvenience. I think I may have used 1/2" MDF, but don't remember. It's painted, so I'm not sure. tim

6. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Checked back on my notes. The spacer part which connects the B&J back to the Graflok back is actually 1/2" Baltic Birch (not really 1/2" but more likely 12mm). This is the stuff I used to build drawer boxes out of, before d-sel white pine made drawers too expensive to bid jobs with. tim