B & W film deals...

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Dave Wooten, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Summer sale ends tomorrow at J and C. I was able to add to my ammo bag and save some bucks....check it out, if you haven t already done so...a good time to replenish your stash... :cool:

2. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    But summer isnt over tomorrow! :smile:

(Thanks for the heads up(s) there)

3. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hey Dave,

Thanks for the heads up. I just placed an order with them.

4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    When did stores ever pay any attention to the seasons? We have a clothing chain store called Marks and Spencer in the U.K. When sustained hot weather arrives, usually not before late July/early August(this year has been an exception) and I look for a few short sleeved shirts, the winter clothing stock has already arrived and summer clothing has been dispensed with. In January, the coldest time of the year, the winter stuff is replaced by lightweight spring clothing which is just about OK to wear by May.

pentaxuser

5. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I wish John would stock Fuji Velvia :sad: . I stocked up on enough B&W film to last me several years (two boxes) just last month.

6. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ROLF! i use a roll a day!

7. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And try to buy lawn furniture after mid-July! One local chain is already stocking up on back to school supplies.

8. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Markok,

Think about it a minute. You live in Kingston, ON where it is cold, dark and dreary for 8 months a year. The trees are bare and grass is brown and fuggehdabout flowers! Then Summer comes and the other four are hot, hazy and humid and filled with mosquitos and other unpleasant things.

So, of course, you shoot a lot of B&W film - what else is there?

OTOH, Robert lives in Hawaii which, at 20 degrees N latitude, has a generally benign climate with few discernable seasonal changes and flowers and trees etc. in constant bloom. Look at his signature. He is a color (colour) man. He is surrounded by color all the time.

So of course, he mainly shoots Velvia and it's not surprising that a couple of boxes of B&W will stand him in good stead for a couple of years!

:D

9. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Marko,

Additionally, Robert is shooting 4x5 sheet film either in Readyload/Quickload form or to be loaded in 4X5 holders. 3-4 sheets of film can cost close to the amount to process a single roll of 35mm film in color.

Rich

10. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I suspect I will use up a good portion of one of the boxes on my upcoming trip in October. The light in the Australian Outback is pretty harsh during the middle of the day - too harsh for Velvia - my reason for buying B&W film. Since I'll be traveling with a B&W photographer, that will give me something to do during our photo stops.

To put this trip into perspective, I've got one box of Efke PL100 (50 sheet), two boxes of Velvia 50 (50 sheets each), 4 boxes of Velvia 50 QuickLoads (80 sheets total), 20 rolls of 35mm Velvia 50 and 15 rolls of 120 Velvia 50, for this trip. So, you can see where my emphasis will be.

Marko, each box of Velvia QuickLoads costs about $69 (20 sheets a box), and it costs me $1.30 a sheet to have it processed. During the Spring and Winter months, I will shoot 3 to 4 boxes of film per month (not mentioning 35mm) - when you consider I still have a full time job, that is a lot of film to shoot. LF can be quite expensive.

11. Buster6X6

Buster6X6 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John what happened to Fuji Acros film? Is it not available no more from J&C? Or did you just run out?I placed my order couple a day's ago hoping I could get more in 120 format. :sad:

Thanks Greg

12. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cruel summer

What's summer? :rolleyes: :wink: still waiting for it to arrive here? :tongue: :confused: Maybe some day I'll find out LOL

13. NikoSperi

NikoSperi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seems to me your emphasis will be keeling over under the weight of three (THREE!) different formats and cameras! :wink:

14. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Niko,

Not really, Robert only has 2 cameras since the 120 film is for his Horseman 6X12 back on his 4X5. :D But it will still get really heavy with the 2. :smile:

Rich

15. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I always travel with two cameras at least - the Toyo 45AII and one of my Nikons. I'm still debating on whether to take the N80 instead of the F5 this year - weight is always a big issue. This will be the first trip with the 6x12 back.:smile:

16. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Robert,

Go on admit it....your hooked....2 boxes of Black and White...thats how it starts....bet you its in a bloody green box though..before long you will be constructing your darkroom ( high ceilings of course ) on Muai or Owahu or wherever...

Simon ILFORD Photo

17. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Lol :D . Actually, it is one box of Ilford Delta 100 and one box of Efke PL100. The Ilford is for me, the Efke is to shoot with my friend in Australia.

I have to admit to missing the darkroom - back in the days I did B&W, I was 100% Ilford.

18. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I misjudged you....I hope you have a fantastic trip

Simon.