B&W film in South Africa

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Solarize, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Solarize

Solarize Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I will be spending a month in South Africa over Christmas and with the uncertainty of luggage restrictions on flights, I am concerned about bringing film over.

Does anyone know of any good places in Johannesburg and/or Cape town. I will need 35mm and 120. Might even process the stuff over there if the chemicals are available.

Thanks.

2. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You might consider sending your film ahead of you by mail. If you'll be staying in a hotel, you should contact them about holding it for you.

3. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
  4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is scary George - I just got the same result from my search.

Clicking on the links there gives the impression, however, that not many of the businesses listed sell film.

It might be worthwhile to contact Kodak and Ilford - they might be able to give you names of dealers.

Matt

5. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

6. leeturner

leeturner Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are a couple of pro labs and equipment shops in Johannesburg. Here is a list of retailers http://www.southcam.org.za/suppliers.php.
    Please note that the B&H Photo Video is not the same as the famous NY store!

For film and processing there is also Beith http://www.beith.co.za/ (just ignore the digital bit of the name).

7. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Solarize,

If you wish to use ILFORD Photo film my suggestion is to contact our distributor ISO Photo pty, their contact details are in the 'where to buy'
    section, products, country choice etc, if you ring, speak to a guy called George Rosa and he will tell you where to source in jo'burg ( or elsewhere )
    as an FYI I have always been able to find good supplies of all photo products in SA.

Kind Regards

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited

8. patrickn

patrickn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi

Probably the best would be Kameraz in Rosebank Johannesburg(www.kameraz.co.za) depending what you want. The genrally have Ilford Fuji and Kodak in stock but if you have specific requirements possibly contact them with a view of them getting it for you in advance. 35mm colour print film is widely available but B&W and 120 is not. Any other information you need let me know

Patrick

9. Solarize

Solarize Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you for the responses, I've managed to find a few places that should be able to help me.

I'm going to take as much film as luggage restrictions allow and rely on retailers out there filling in should my supplies run out.

Thanks again.

10. leeturner

leeturner Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got to second Kameraz. Used to be my favourite shop in Jo'burg and they used to hold a photographic flea market quite regularly. Johan is a top guy.