B&W Film...what happened?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by adavid, Nov 27, 2005.

1. adavid

adavid Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was shooting color (E100GX) and B&W (Bergger 200) in a studio. All rolls were developed at a reputable lab in NYC. The color came back fine. The b&w film looked as if the edges (more on one edge than the other) were exposed to light - there are dark streaks along the edges. I thought there might be some sort of light leak (I use a Mamiya c330), but the color are fine. Also, there wasn't any "pattern" to my shooting - over two days, I shot color - then a roll of b&w - back to color, etc. This was also the first time I used Bergger - there aren't any marking on the processed film, i.e. frame number, film id.
    Any ideas? Is it me or the lab?

2. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Edge streaking is mostly due to insufficient fixing.
    Go and complain at the lab :smile:

G

3. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can you scan a sample for us? That might help.

4. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Light leaking past the backing paper edges when loading/unloading?

Cheers, Bob.

5. adavid

adavid Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i don't have access to a scanner

6. eumenius

eumenius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, I think it's a problem with too wide a receiving spool, not camera, film and lab. I had this problem when accidentally used Soviet spool once with ORWO slide film :smile: The 120 film standart is well-established, but sometimes the spools from some film are just a bit narrower (and the paper backing gets jammed somehow by the sides), or just a tad wider, and you get light streaks. That's why it's advisable to use the taking spools from the same brand of film...

Your problem can be also related to an insufficiently tight film windind, but that's not usually the case with C330, and your color film proves it.

Cheers, Zhenya

7. adavid

adavid Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Here you go - I was able to scan.

Attached Files:

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I like Zhenya's answer. Bergger's film is made in the Forte factory, and there has been some issue with 120 film from Efke and Forte (not Foma, though) leaking light. You just have to be a little more careful with it.

Load and unload in subdued light, and don't leave the roll sitting out in the light before or after loading. I have some spare opaque plastic bags left over from paper or sheet film, and I use them to store exposed rollfilm as I change it out of the camera.

9. Daniel Lawton

Daniel Lawton Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a similar incident with some rolls of 35mm HP5 several months ago. All were factory loaded and processed myself along with numerous other rolls of B+W film. For some reason all the rolls of HP5 had light leaks along the edges. Couldn't tell you why they were there but I haven't had the problem since. Could be faulty spooling at the plant.

10. Early Riser

Early Riser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The problem looks like the exposed film was not tightly wound and sealed with the adhesive paper after exposure. This problem is not uncommon and is almost always user error.

11. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, edge fog from loose winding and/or leaky paper edges. Take the advice on subdued light loading. I've been using the black rollfilm film canisters from JandC (25 cents each), and like them a lot. Gave about 25 of them to a friend who shoots a lot of rollfilm while he travels and does nature photography, and he loves them too. Keeps the film a lot safer than plastic bags, and keeps pressure marks off the film too.

Lee

12. C Rose

C Rose Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree here! I had the same problem with some Efke 100 recently. My instructor at school seemed sure that was the problem.

Ditto with the canisters. I got about 20 and love them- makes tons of sense to me.
    BTW J&C has some films that come in those canisters- Adox/Efke (see site for details)

Beckie

13. Shmoo

Shmoo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Another vote for the Goldfarb answer. I learned (the hard way) that it's best to load and unload 120/220 film in as much shade as possible. It's also handy to keep some small squares of aluminum foil around to wrap each roll of film when you're done to keep it "safe". Never had a problem since.

14. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    J&C has those 120 plastic tubes to keep your film in. They are cheap at 25 cents a piece.

15. Rlibersky

Rlibersky Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I had this same problem a few years ago. only the fog went into the image. Bergger paper is thin when I put a loupe up to the fog I saw a number from the paper backing. I sent it to the Bergger rep and was told they knew of the problem. That was the last I heard of it. I have since not left the film anywhere there is strong light, when outside of its wrapper. I have not had a problem since. It would be nice if they put a warning out. I had numerous films with black edges. Thought it was my camera, but on the other hand got my equipment cleaned.

I like Bergger film but am not to happy with there customer service. Will probaly not use there 120 film again, when current stock run out. But will still buy 8x10 and 5x7 from them.